14

"Roman..." Virgil laid there in the soft dark green grass, mind lost to everything he knows about the other, as he stared up at the darkening sky. "You weren't born a vampire... were you?" 

"No." Virgil couldn't help but feel his body sink at the saddened tone the other had. "I wasn't. But that's to be expected, most of my kind, in particular, aren't born what we are."

"Doesn't mean it isn't less... sad to hear." Roman's head darted over to see the sad contemplative look Virgil was giving up at the sky. "I know how badly the venom hurts. I've seen what happens when someone turns. It's an occupational hazard, unfortunately." 

"Lighten up, Virgil. You're almost sounded as if an ally." Roman teased only making Virgil's eyes darken. "It was ages ago anyway. Like I said, I was born around 770 BC. I don't even know the exact date. I'm old. There's no need to feel sorry for something that happened over 2,700 years ago."

"Pain is pain no matter how long ago it was, Roman." The air went a bit cold after that as Roman looked back up at the sky. "How did it happen?" 

"My brother did it." Virgil's eyes widened as Roman smiled sadly up at the few stars he could see. "I was sick. Very sick... literally couldn't get out of bed and... I remember the world not quite feeling real." Virgil's hand twitched at the sad quiet tone Roman spoke with. "My wife... She did her best caring for me but she had the kids to look after. She needed to be a mother more than a doctor. My sweet little girl didn't even know what was going on but... My son... He knew. I'd watch as he helped his mother light the offerings to Pluto."

"Ro..."

"I sent them away when I realized I wasn't going to be making much longer. I laid there bed... and... My stupid brother as he is just crawling himself through the window like the creep he is." Roman laughed as he spotted a particularly bright star and beamed. "I thought he was dead. I thought Pluto had sent him to retrieve me. He... He was supposed to be dead. But he just sat there at the foot of my bed crying, which is so unlike him. He's never cried. He's the one that always throws the first punch. I wouldn't have been surprised if he tries to fight the gods themselves at one point. Mars would be proud of him."

"Roman." Roman's breath lapsed as he felt the other's hand slowly intertwine with his. His eyes darted over to see Virgil smiling at him as his mind finally registered the tears sliding down his cheeks. He hadn't noticed he had started to cry. "Are you ok?"

"Yeah..." Roman laughed as he gently brushed the tears away and let out a soft breath. "It's just... a lot to remember. Yes, it was a long time ago but that was my life... my family... my wife and kids."

"Do you want to continue?" Roman just nodded as he melted into the grass loving the concern he felt through the bond.

"As I said... My brother was supposed to be dead. I had heard word that he was killed years prior trying to sneak into my city. I had grieved for him. But there he was and I was just... I was too busy thanking the gods for allowing me to see him that I didn't notice what was going on." Roman's eyes narrow as his mind took him through his memories like a movie reel of the past. "I don't remember him actually doing anything. I think at that point my body was giving up. But... I remember the metallic taste on my lips when my mind finally did register something happening. The pain... the..."

"Roman, you don't have to tell me." Virgil was quick to cut in noticing how the vampire started to shiver against the memories. "You don't have to continue. It's ok. I'll understand."

"He held me while I changed." Virgil tensed as Roman swallowed the pain, his tears falling again only breaking Virgil's heart at the sight. "He held me tight against his chest as he tried to muffle my cries as to not scare my family." Roman shook himself out of his thoughts as he wiped his tears away again and forced a smile. "After the change, he took me away from home for a bit. We couldn't let people recognize me. We stayed around the place for a while though so I could adjust but... when things started happening... When my home... when it uh... We left and didn't look back."