49

"His Royal Highness, Roman Augustulus." Roman smiled softly at his introduction but Virgil could see that his eyes held that regal seriousness you would expect from a king. The servent calling him out frowned slightly at the sight of Virgil before meeting with the king's gaze. Roman gave simply raised an eyebrow at him, his eyes subtly glowing making the servent tense and quickly look away to get back into stance. "And his guest, Virgil Grim." Roman only gave the man a nod before turning his attention back to the others in the room. Many were standing there with their head bowed in respect but one... one had his eyes trained on Virgil and Roman didn't know how he felt about that. The man just staring at Virgil smirked slightly before bowing his head finally to Roman and standing straighter.

"Your Highness, my name is Vincent Grables. I'm the chief for the camp off in Airicton. We asked for an audience in the hopes for allowance to participate in a Ritual." Virgil's eyes shined as he sat up more clearly showing his interest as Roman frowned in confusion.

"If it is a ritual for any sort of religion, I do not see why you would need my acceptance on it. I have never stifled any sort of religious devotion." Vincent just smirked a bit more as he placed a hand to his chest as if bowing. "I'm afraid I do not understand the need for an audience."

"The ritual requires a human sacrifice." Roman paled, his eyes instantly darting over to Virgil, who surprisingly only had his head tilted in a confused manner instead of looking angry like the king had thought he would. "The ritual itself is about providing an offering of human blood for protection and prosperity..." Virgil's eyes darkened as Roman crashed over it all. He could not say no to it even if he wanted to. He made an oath to not deny one's religious beliefs... He couldn't handle another Christ incident with the Christians. However, that meant allowing the vampires to sacrifice a human... Roman was fearful about how Virgil would take it. He just didn't know how to go about this. "The Blood Harvest Ritual."

"The what?" Virgil's voice cut in suddenly making Roman subtly flinch in fear. "You said the 'Blood harvest Ritual'... Right?"

"That would be correct," Vincent responded not even upset that Virgil had spoken out at first. Although the look Virgil had suddenly got over his response did unnerve him. 

"I see." Roman dared a glance over to the fae only to break seeing the anger he had known Virgil would have over everything. He wanted to tell the group no and send them on their way but... He made an oath. A sworn promise to NOT repeat history. He couldn't do it. He couldn't say no.

"This... Blood Ritual..." Virgil's eyes suddenly widened as he glanced over to see the serious look in Roman's. "What exactly does it entail?"

"Are you accepting of it?" Vincent asked as Roman's eyes only darkened.

"I am considering... only because of the religious connotations. However should I not like what I hear I will deny your request." Roman was trying really hard to ignore Virgil's gaze as his mind forced him to imagine the sharp glare, Virgil was not giving him. "What exactly does it entail?" Roman repeated as Vincent nodded in response.

"The absolute draining of a human." Roman paled even worse as his hands clenched the throne arms. "During the ritual, the human will be mesmerized to ensure no pain or fear. They will taken to the ritual site where they will be laid upon an altar and drained until death. The blood will then be taken and made into an offering."

"And..." He was tense. Roman was trying his best to not let the others see it but his voice came out stiff and monotone. "And the body... How will it be cared for?"

"It will be returned to their family for proper burial." Vincent's eyes went to Virgil again who was still just staring at Roman, concern etched into his eyes. He could tell Roman was not happy with how this was going. The issue for Virgil wasn't even the topic of conversation... It was the fact that Vincent was lying.