53

"This is war." Roman called out to the group of vampires that gathered about the throne room. His eyes darkened as glanced over to see Logan lost in his mind since all that happened in the study. Virgil just stood there out of everyone's way with this look no one could read. "The hunters have sent their declaration. We have no choice..." Roman's voice cut out a bit as he clenched his fists at his side. "We have no choice but to respond."

"What about the vampires still out on mission..." Roman held his hand up making the vampire who had spoken quickly clam up.

"All vampires out on mission are to report back to the castle effective immediately. All camps are to be informed and... offered housing should they not feel safe enough to stay where they are. Any vampire in need of care and shelter will be provided a room." You could see how much more Roman wanted to say but despite the stress, Virgil knew he was under the king hed his poise and took charge without the slightest shake in his voice.

"What about food rations?" Another voice perked up making Logan's head dart up at the mention.

"The hunting of food will be handled by specially trained higher level vampires such as Janus and myself." Logan responded swiftly as he clutched his notes tightly. "As for rations, His highness and I have set up a feeding chart for any sanguine on grounds that allow for everyone to remain fed properly and healthy. That is to say if you don't have a thrall. Those that do so... Are only required to as the law states. Care for your thrall until their passing. Though keep in mind should they pass before this is all over... It is highly unlikely you are to get another just yet."

Thralls... Virgil smiled softly as he thought about his own mark. Technically speaking he was Roman's thrall. A person marked as property by a vampire. Unlike the typical thrall, he wasn't treated as such. He wasn't a servant, he was a friend. Roman marked him as such to protect him but... that didn't change what he was. Most vampires with a thrall have them as servents, pets, or feed. With how things are going... People without them might become envious with the lessening of their food when all the others have to do is turn to their thrall for blood.

"With winter coming hunting animals... there won't be much. That being said..." Roman actually gulped as he glanced over at Virgil for a split second. The fae had a feeling he already knew what was going to be said. "We will be hunting for possible human blood to fill the gaps the animals will no longer be able to supply. If any vampires have an issue with that staff must be made aware. I will not have vampires getting sick or worse. This is temporary as well. Do not think that every winter will bring in human blood. We have to be smart about this." Virgil carefully made his way beside Roman who just smiled at him apologetically but the fae understood. Virgil would rather this than vampires dying. Huh... Virgil couldn't help but chuckle at himself. He never thought he'd see the day where he would want a human to be drained than see a single vampire suffer. He's changed a lot since he first got here. And he couldn't have been prouder of himself. It just truly hit him whose side he was one. He wasn't a human or a hunter. He didn't care about either. Not in the way he used to. Hunters were monsters and humans... He just cared about vampires more. He wasn't one of them anymore. He never really was. He belonged with Roman.

"How did the hunters even know where to look?" Roman frowned as he glanced over to see the anxiousness in the group around him. A scared timid voice chirped up drawing in people's attention. "It was a new route, right? It was supposed to be safe. How did the hunters know?"

"Someone must have told them." Another called out slightly more confident in his accusation. Virgil tensed instantly realizing where this was going and he was not happy.

"A traitor?" A woman whined fearfully as an uproar of voice quickly exploded out. Virgil slowly stepped back seeing how some glared over at him. 

"What do you mean?" Roman asked not noticing the tension or the fear in the bond. One of the Vampires stepped forward, a small boy hidden behind him, and his heart broke seeing the tears the child had in his eyes.