Bright Future

Wad's POV

Standing in front of my closet, I visually peruse the clothes still there. I hate packing. When was the last time I wore that shirt? I pull out a sleeve and frown.

"Isn't that one too small for you now?" My mom asks from behind me. "I think I got that before you went into high school. You have grown since then."

"Really? That long ago?" I mumble. Have I really grown that much? I hold it up against me. I guess I have. It is tiny.

"Yes, that long ago," Mom chuckles, "Hand it to me. I can donate it." I pull it off the hanger and hand it to her. "That blue one also."

"But I like blue," I defend. I do, but I actually like Prem in blue more, but I leave that out.

"I know you do," Mom shoves my shoulder lightly. I swear she can read my mind, "But hand it to me, and I will show you why."

I pull it out and pass it to her. I watch as she turns the shirt in her hand, and my heart drops when I see the tear in the back. Why hadn't I noticed that?

"See," Mom holds up the shirt to me, "You never told me how it got torn, and I never got around to mending it."

"Dean and cronies," I admit, running a finger through the hole, "I was running away, and it snagged on a fence." I have to wonder why I hadn't thrown it out.

"I wish you had told me," Mom sighs, "I feel like I was useless to you."

"You could never be useless to me, Mom," I assure her with a hug. "I wish I spoke up too, but it is just the past now." I smile down at her, "And all I care about is here and now."

"And the future," Mom grins up at me as she pinches my cheeks, "Your bright future."

"Yes," I squeeze her tight, "My bright future." I should have talked more to her. It is a regret but one I will have to live with now. Past is past, and done is done.

"You know if you forget anything, I will send it to you, or it can wait until you come back for a visit," Mom tells me as she takes out another shirt and places it with the one she told me she would donate.

"I know," I huff, sitting down on my bed and trace a pattern in the coverlet. I can't remember packing for school last year at all. I was so numb. I just went through the motions. It strangely feels like I am leaving home for the first time. I notice my mom staring at me.

"You are worried about Prem's internship," Mom states flatly while she takes another shirt off a hanger. "What was I thinking when I bought this for you?" She mutters. I smile at her dismay, and the contemplative mood vanishes. I have to admit I wonder what she was thinking, too.

"I am a bit worried," I take the shirt from her and debate between throwing it away or donating it. It is pretty ugly.

"Do you think I can pull it off?" I ask, holding it up against me with a grin.

"Donate," Mom tells me with a chuckle. "Someone will like it."

"If you say so," I fold it and place it on the growing pile.

"Prachin Buri is only a little over two hours by train," I sigh, "If I had a car," I wheedle. "It would be under two." I watch hopefully.

"And where would you park your car," Mom counters with a smug grin, "When you are interning, we will discuss a car. Parking around your dorm is a nightmare." I hate it when my mom is right.

"Fine," I grumble. I knew she wouldn't go for it. I wonder if Prem has been able to talk his parents into one.

"Besides," Mom stops and turns to me, "Isn't your friend N'Kongpop's boyfriend possibly being placed in Prachin Buri, too?" I nod. "Then maybe you can go in on a taxi together. It should be about the same price as a train ticket if you share." She shrugs, "Maybe even cheaper."