One Day

Kongpop's POV

I am sitting in my dad's office, waiting for him to come back. After Aim and I went over to P'Tee's house, I got a call from him to meet him here. I smile, spotting the family portrait hanging behind his desk. The same one is at our house. It was taken before I left for university.

"Kong," My dad calls, walking in, "Have you been waiting long?" I shake my head. "That is good." He adds, taking a seat behind his desk.

"Dad," I say, getting up, "Why did you want me to come?"

"I wanted you to join me for dinner," Dad explains, "It is with a business associate and his daughter."

"His daughter?" I repeat, scared where this might be heading.

"Yes," Dad looks up and smiles, "She is going to university next year."

"And?" I ask hesitantly.

"Her father says she is worried, and he knows you are home, so he was hoping you could talk to her about what to expect," Dad continues as he jots something down.

"Nothing more?" I am still not convinced that that is all there is to it.

"What else would there be?" Dad stops what he is writing and looks up at me.

"I don't know," I hesitate.

"Kong," Dad frowns, "It is a simple dinner. Nothing more."

"Is this person important to the business?" I question.

"He is one of my main suppliers," Dad tells me, and after a moment, he narrows his eyes at me. "What is going through your head?"

"This is not a marriage meeting?" I finally demand.

"A what?" Dad asks, "Where did you get that idea?"

"Where?" I scoff, "Dinner with her father and her? A major supplier for your company. What else would I think?"

"You have been watching too many Korean dramas," Dad shakes his head.

"P'Lawan," I start, "She married one of our business partner's son." I walk over to his desk, "And P'Samorn is married to the owner of a company you bought out." I watch as my dad calmly places his pen down before he looks up at me.

"I didn't sell my daughters off for my company, Kong," Dad states, "Do you really think I would do that?" I can tell my dad is offended. I run my hand through my hair. Maybe I was being too sensitive to the situation and jumped to conclusions. Dad gets up and comes around the desk.

"Kong," He places a hand on my arm. "I am not going to say your sister's marriages didn't help my company, but I didn't have a hand in them." He leans on the corner of the desk. "Lawan met Karn at university. His father and I had nothing to do with it." My dad explains, "And as for Samorn, she did meet Alek because of me, but her liking him and marrying him had nothing to do with business." My dad snorts, "In fact, it made it harder. You try buying out your son-in-law's company, but I did get a good employee that is an asset to mine out of the deal." He chuckles. "Besides, do you see your sisters allowing me to pick who they married?"

"No," I sigh, leaning against the desk with my dad, "Sorry."

"Is there someone you like?" Dad asks, "Is that why you were so worried."

"Yes," I admit. When I don't add anything more, my dad continues.

"Is it going well?" He inquires, and I nod. "Do you not want us to meet her yet?" At the word 'her,' my heart squeezes. I want to correct him, but I know what a Pandora box that might open. P'Arthit and I agreed to wait to tell my parents until he is employed and can support me if I am disowned.