Understand

Knott's POV

"You know it is easier to go in if you knock," A voice behind me says, making flinch. Turning, I find Tew's dad standing there with some bags from a local mart. I hold out a hand, and he passes them to me. It is the first time I have visited Tew at home. My only interaction with Tew's parents have been unannounced visits to his dorm, and those were an emotional roller coaster. His dad walks by me with a grin.

"I thought you were done being scared of us," He says, opening the door. He looks back at me, "I understand your parents have accepted you and him." I nod.

"I think my dad is still having issues with it, but he doesn't deny us," I tell him.

"Issues," Tew's dad repeats, "Maybe I should talk to him." I glance over at him. Why would he need to talk to my dad? Is he upset that I said he was having concerns still?

"You are so like Tew," Tew's dad chuckles, "My son also tends to jump off the deep end when it comes to what people are thinking." He pats my shoulder. "It took me a while to adjust to the idea that my son liked boys and not girls. I might be ok with it now, but when he told me I wasn't." Sighing, he adds, "Dreams I had for the future had to be let go after all."

"But N'Tew never said you were against it," I say, "He told me you were accepting."

"We are," Tew's dad shrugs, "When Tew told me my first reaction was to yell, but when I looked at Tew and saw the fear in his eyes. I stopped myself thinking if I would have been brave enough to tell my parents something like this." I walk in and turn back to him as he closes the door. "So all I wanted to say I never did. Not even to my wife. The thought of Tew overhearing something was enough to stop me. I didn't want to do something to disappoint a son who trusted us enough to be honest." I am beginning to understand. Is it the same for my dad?

"I never knew that," Tew says from the stairs. His dad looks up at his son and smiles. "I wouldn't have been disappointed," Tew comes and stands by his dad.

"Then I would have been disappointed in myself," Tew's dad admits, "We told you all your life to never be afraid to tell us anything, and we wouldn't judge. To always talk to us if you had something that's bothering you." He puts a hand on Tew's shoulder, "I would have failed if I didn't keep my side of that bargain. Now wouldn't I?" Tew's dad takes the bags from me, "Your mom is waiting for these. Take N'Knott to the guest room."

"Guest room?" Tew repeats and I look away to keep him from seeing me smile. Of course, I am staying in the guest room. Did he really think his parents would agree to me sleeping in his bedroom? I am grateful they are letting me stay so that we can attend P'Dear's graduation.

"Yes," His dad says, "You heard me right. I said the guest room." He tilts his head, "You didn't think we were going to let you share a room? Now, did you?"

"We share a room at uni," Tew whines and I clear my throat, trying to get him to shut up. "Why can't we here?"

"Because," His father falls back on the old tried and true reason all parents use.

"That is not a reason," Tew snaps. Geez, this conversation could have been scripted. "I want a real reason."

"If he was a girl, would you even be asking this question?" Tew's mom asks, walking out of the kitchen. "You would have respected our decision. You two are not married, and this is our house." She stands in front of her son, "So he stays in the guest room." She pokes him in the chest. "Understand?" She does have a point. I doubt anyone would think of sleeping with their girlfriend at their parent's house.

"Understood," I answer for Tew. "N'Tew, where is the guest room?" Tew looks at me and growls. "Guest room?"

"This way," Tew huffs, "It is next to my parents." He adds, giving his mom and dad a glare as he walks by them. They both roll their eyes at Tew's behavior. Well, that ensures that Tew won't try to visit. I don't know why he so mad. It is not like they magically moved the room next to them for this visit. I am sure the guest room has always been next to his parents, and he never cared until today.