Time To Go Back

Wad's POV

I glance at Prem over the top of the book I am reading. I smile when I see he has fallen asleep. The book he was reading is dangling in his hand off the edge of the bed. I watch as it slowly slips to the floor, and when it lands, the thud makes Prem jerk awake and notice me looking at him.

"I guess I fell asleep," He grins at me as he stretches.

"Mmm," I hum as I thumb the pages of my book. "Prem?"

"Yes?" Prem stops and looks at me.

"Mom bought the house," I start. Yesterday while Prem was getting groceries, my mom told me about this, and I don't really know how to feel.

"Your grandparents' house?" Prem sits up, questioning. "She bought it? From you?" I shake my head.

"Not that house," I continue and once again find myself unable to say it out.

"Wad," Prem moves closer, "What house?"

"That house," I say, looking into his eyes, hoping he understands.

"That house," Prem repeats. He starts to say something when I can tell it clicks. "Why would she buy that house?" I asked my mom the same question. Why, indeed?

"I don't know why she felt she needed to do this," I shrug. Prem wraps his arm around my shoulder.

"What is she going to do with it?" Prem asks.

"I am going to tear it down," Mom says from the door. Prem and I both turn to her. "It is too hard to pass down that street, and by that house now that I know that is where it happened, Wad." Mom comes over to sit on the edge of the bed, "I want it gone."

After it happened, I never walked down that street again. Not until that day P'Dean took me back there. I never thought about how my mom would feel about that place after everything came out when P'Dean kidnapped me. I used to dream of setting it on fire, and if I could have figured out a way not to get caught, I would have.

"When?" I find myself asking.

"Today," My mom pats my knee. I place my hand on top of hers. Her phone rings, and she looks toward the kitchen where she left it. "I need to get that. I left the girls alone at the shop." I nod in understanding.

"You OK?" Prem asks when she is out of sight.

"No," I answer. Prem sighs before he climbs off the bed and holds out a hand to me. "Prem?"

"Come on," Prem says.

"Come where?" I question, standing up and reaching for his hand.

"Time to go back," Prem squeezes my hand. "One last time." I try to jerk my hand free and pull away. "Wad, you just said you are not OK. You need to see this place disappear. You need to watch it get erased. The smell. The sound. That moment." He reaches over and cups my face, "That memory needs to be laid to rest."

"It will hurt," I admit.

"I know," Prem pulls me close and wraps his arms around me, "I know it will, Wad. But it is the last thing standing from your past." He pulls back and thumbs away a tear. "It is time. It is past time." Prem leans his forehead against mine, "You can do this. You are so strong, Wad." He smiles, "Besides, you won't be doing this alone. I will be there. Every step. Every moment."

"Always," I smile back at him.

"You got that right," Prem laughs. He steps back and holds out his hand again. "Let's go." I nod and take his hand.

"Mom," I call out, "Prem and I are going for a walk."

"OK," She replies from the kitchen, "Are you two going to eat out or come back home?"