Demons

P'Rune's POV

"Does it hurt?" I ask N'Tic as we turn the corner where my bar is.

"No," N'Tic says, moving his jaw around. I notice he frowns.

"What's wrong?" I inquire, worried. "You said it didn't hurt."

"Somebody is waiting outside the bar," N'Tic answers, pointing toward the bar.

I look over and sigh. Just what I need. More drama. Who the hell can it be? Getting closer, I realize who it is. I thought he would be by here in the morning. Why is he just now showing up? N'Jett is lying down with his head in the lap of the guy I know to be his boyfriend. What was his name again? I watch as N'Jett's boyfriend lovingly strokes his hair as he sleeps.

The boyfriend looks up at the sound of our steps and glares at me.

"I hate your brother," The guy hisses at me.

I can see N'Tic is going to say something, but I shake my head.

"I know," I sigh, "I understand the feeling." As much as I love my brother, sometimes the anger overwhelms that love.

"I'm sorry," N'Jett's boyfriend says shakily as he goes to wake the sleeping nong.

"Don't," I order, "Open the door," I tell N'Tic as I toss him my keys. Leaning down, I go to deadlift the nong.

"He is not light," N'Jett's boyfriend warns me as I realize that 'not light' is an understatement. Damn, he is a big boy.

Following N'Tic into the bar, I walk over to one of the back booths and lay the nong out. For him not to wake up during all this, he must be exhausted.

N'Tic walks out of the back office with the first aid kit and hands it to me. I rummage and find some salve and a band-aid.

"Sorry," I tell N'Tic, "We should have been quicker."

"No worries," He tells me as I smooth out the band-aid. N'Tic looks at the sleeping nong and the one at the bar before he adds, "Can I have tomorrow off?"

"Sure," I smile, "You earned it."

"Thanks, P'," N'Tic grins, "Call me if you need anything."

"I will," I wave.

"Oh," N'Tic calls from the door, "Don't forget about P'Som." N'Tic points to the ceiling, and I nod.

"Som is here?" The nong questions, and I nod.

"What is your name again?" I finally decide to ask. I can't keep thinking of him as nong or N'Jett's boyfriend.

"Tutah," The nong answers.

"He is here," I tell N'Tutah and look toward the back stairs.

Turning, I find N'Tutah staring at the picture of Tay behind the bar. When I told him that I also hate my brother at times, I also realize I have never said that to anyone. I go and join the nong and look at the picture and the gears hanging there.

"Do you ever regret quitting?" N'Tutah asks.

"From time to time," I admit. I don't know why I am so truthful with this nong.

"You should go back," N'Tutah tells me. "He has already taken so much. Your degree shouldn't be one of them."

I know the nong is right, but being on campus has me walking through ghosts. The memories are still too raw, and there are too many demons I don't have the courage to face.

"Where has he been all day? I thought he would be here this morning after he called," I wonder as I glance back at N'Jett.

"Anywhere but here," N'Tutah sighs and looks at his watch. I can tell he is debating something. I look at the time and understand.