Your Place

Arthit's POV

"Hold the elevator," Someone shouts, and I press the button to hold the door. The moment the person steps in, I hate myself. Explain to me why my parents raised me to be a nice person? Seriously! The doors were almost closed! Why the hell did I hold the door for this asshole?!?

The nong freezes with one foot in and one foot out of the elevator. I glare at him, waiting for him to move.

"In or out?" I growl, "I don't care which." Don't care? Of course, I care! OUT is what I prefer! So take a hint!!

He steps the rest of the way in and turns to face the door as he glances at the buttons. I have already punched the one for my floor, so I know he doesn't need to do that. When I hear a rustle, I look at him out of the corner of my eye and just about swear when he pulls out the red signature book from his backpack. Does he really believe I will sign it? Me? I clench my jaw tight to keep from cursing while I tell myself that attacking this nong that even though it would be immensely satisfying to beat him to a pulp would screw up everything I have worked for the past three years.

"P'Arthit," The nong says quietly, and I turn to face him as I hit the stop button on the elevator making the alarm ring. The nong steps back into the corner.

"Do you really think I will sign that?" I demand. "After you were given a chance to set it right, and all you could do was walk off! You have the nerve to ask me after all the shit you have pulled?"

The nong looks down and shrinks farther into the corner. I glare at the damn book as I argue with myself. This is not about the faculty anymore. This is about someone who is stalking... no terrorizing my friends and me.

"Why did you do that to their doors?" I question, and he flinches. "Do you know what N'Kammon went through this summer? Or N'Wad?" He looks up at that question. "There is shit you don't know. And your place is one of them. You better learn where that is soon."

"P'Kongpop is a play...." The nong starts.

"A player?" I cut him off, "That boy sees nothing but me." I pause before I continue. If he thinks Kongpop is a player, does that mean I am the one he wants? What the hell? "Why do you want him to break up with me?" I remember that he plastered Kongpop all over his windows and door. "If you think he is a player," I growl, "Why the hell did you put his damn picture everywhere in your damn dorm?"

"I liked him at first," The nong sputters, "But I saw how he acted and decided he was a player."

"How he acted?" I tilt my head confused.

"He is always talking to people and being helpful to everyone," The nong clarifies, and I can feel my temper rising yet again.

"He is just nice!" I shout. "He has been like that from the beginning!"

"But that means you are not special!" The nong yells at me. What the hell? Not special? This is all about me not being fvcking special? What about the others?!?

"Is something wrong with the elevator?" A voice asks from above. I glance up to look at the speaker.

"I slipped and hit the stop button," I explain. "I am sorry." I am grateful for this interruption as I glare at the nong. He is obviously sick in the head.

"Please release the button," The disembodied voice tells me.

"OK," I answer and reach over to release the emergency stop, and the alarm stops as we begin to move once more.

"I am not breaking up with Kongpop," I hiss, "Not now. Not ever." I tap his red book, "You need to decide. Because this is your future. Do you want it to stay blank?" The elevator dings, and I see we are on my floor. Without another word, I step off and go to my room.