Truth

Kammon's POV

I watch as the pier gets farther away. My cousin is standing beside me, not watching the dock recede from our view, but me.

"I am fine, Prang," I say, rolling my eyes.

"Tell me that when you are looking at me," Maprang sniffs, "I know you. You are not fine, and you know how much I hate that phrase coming out of your mouth."

I turn to her and lean against the rail, "I don't know what you want me to say, 'Prang. Yes, I am sad I left P'Bright behind. Yes, I am not looking forward to seeing my father."

"Are you scared?" Maprang asks, placing a hand over mine.

"Of course, I am scared," I sigh, "But I am fine," I hold up a hand to stop her protests, "I know back then I said I was fine, too. I know how empty those words can be, but back then, I was alone, but you know I am not alone anymore. I can do this."

"If you do anything stupid," Maprang grumbles, "I promise to kick your ass."

"Then I better not do anything stupid," I chuckle. I look back and see the pier has disappeared from sight.

"Mom is not happy, by the way," Maprang leans against the rail with me, "She doesn't think we should come home."

"Does she know you are going back with me?" I ask. I am grateful Maprang is going with me. It will be another set of eyes to help me spot this freak.

"Yep," Maprang answers, "And Uncle is not going to be happy."

I turn to frown at her, "Why is Father not going to be happy? He likes you."

"I know he likes me," Maprang says, "But Mom is coming back with us."

"What? Why?" I demand.

"Because," Maprang states, and I growl at her.

"That is not an answer!" I shout, making other people on the deck look at us, and I see P'Boon getting up to come over to us.

"It is my mom, Kam," Maprang glares at me. "You know how stubborn she is. Like I could stop her from coming! It is the only way she is going to let us go back there!"

"Is everything OK?" P'Boon asks when he reaches us. "You are attracting attention."

"I know I am attracting attention!" I snap at P'Boon.

"Nong," P'Boon warns. "I will call your boyfriend."

"And what?" I shout, "And what, P'Boon?"

"N'Kammon," P'Boon says quietly. I shake my head and walk off. I guess I am not fine, after all.

As I go down the stairs to the lower deck, my phone rings, "What, 'Prang? I am just going downstairs! I am fine!" I flinch when I hear P'Bright's voice. "P'?"

Bright's POV

Nobody says anything as I stand on the pier watching the ferry get smaller and smaller. I know I am doing the right thing by letting him go back home, but I hate that I won't be there if he needs me. Phone calls and chat can only reach so far.

"You OK?" Tutah asks, and I turn to him.

"Do you want me to lie," I sigh, "Or do you want me to tell you the truth?"

"Truth," Tutah chooses.

"That is a moronic question, my friend," I punch his shoulder, "I am in no way OK."

"Just checking," Tutah chuckles, rubbing his arm. "Are you going home or back to my place?"

"Home," I shrug, "It is a little closer to Kammon." I flinch when I get a message and frown when I read it.