A Detour And A Destination

Bright's POV

Dim Bulb: Prang come out need to talk.

Property of Oak: ??

Dim Bulb: now

I lean up against the wall waiting for N'Maprang to come out. I just left Kammon at his faculty, and if he doesn't want to tell me, I will find someone who will. N'Maprang is that someone. N'Oak let slip that the reason he was eating alone yesterday was that N'Maprang was out with Kammon.

The door opens, and N'Maprang steps out and won't look at me. Well, that is telling.

"Spill," I state, crossing my arms.

"Spill what?" That isn't N'Maprang, but N'May. I growl when I see that all of the nongs came to the door. I asked for one, not nine. N'Oak looks like he would prefer not to be there and is making sure he is out of reach of N'Maprang. He has probably realized why I am here.

"Why are all of you here?" I ask, "I wanted N'Maprang, not everyone."

"Then you shouldn't have used the group chat," N'Kongpop shrugs, "And besides, if I had asked for one of your friends, I am pretty sure the rest of you would have come out, too, P'."

How does Arthit put up with his mouth? I chuckle at my thought. Mouth. I am pretty sure Arthit likes... Shit! Bright! Stay on task!! It is not the time to wander off. You are here because of Kammon. I frown at my nongs. I really wanted this to just be between N'Maprang and me. Screw it!

"Tell me what happened to Kammon?" I demand, barely keeping it from being a growl. "You were the with him yesterday. And he didn't want to come over or let me go over last night." N'Maprang turns to find her boyfriend, who ducks behind N'Aim. Sorry, nong. I will make sure Tutah gives you a grand funeral. N'Maprang turns back to me but doesn't say anything.

"What happened, N'Maprang," I ask again. "Why does my boyfriend have a split lip?" All of her friends, including N'Oak, look hard at N'Maprang. It seems this is news to all of them.

"P'Bright," N'Maprang begins and stops. It is rare to see her being timid.

"Just tell me," I plead.

"I promised, P'," N'Maprang admits, "Don't make me break my promise to him."

I growl as I tug on my hair. I look at N'Maprang and see her on the verge of tears. Shit! Shit! SHIT! How can I keep him safe if I don't know what I am supposed to keep him safe from?

"Does it have anything to do with what happened in the Economics faculty?" I question, and she flinches, "What the hell, N'Maprang!?!"

"Please, P'," N'Maprang sniffs, "I already said more than I should."

"You haven't said anything!" I shout, and a hand smacks me on the back of the head. I turn, ready to shout out my friends, and find I am face to face with Professor Nond.

"N'Bright," Professor Nond says, "Is that how a Hazer should be acting towards his nong?" The nongs all wai their professor, "As for you all, go take your seats." They scurry into the room, and I lose my chance to get more of an answer.

"No," I say contritely, "Sawasdee khrap."

"Sawasdee kha," Professor Nond returns my wai. "Shouldn't you be in class, nong?"

"Yes," I sigh. "I will be going." I start walking down the hall and stop when Professor Nond calls my name.

"N'Bright," she says, "Whatever it is, it will work out."