Promises Or Not

Oak's POV

"Maprang," I say, leaning against the door frame of the girls' room. She ran up here right after the talk about Kammon's past.

"Go away, Oak," She whines. As if I would do that. Walking into the room, I take a seat next to her on the edge of the bed.

"No," I tell her and make her look at me. "Not going to happen."

"I'm scared, Oak," Maprang sniffs, "He just got back to normal, and now this shit."

"This shit has been happening for a while," I remind her, "We just learned about it, and to be honest, I am glad we did." She pulls away from me, "Let me explain."

"What is there to explain?" Maprang growls, "You are happy he is being stalked!"

"I didn't say that," I hiss, "I said I was glad we learned about it. How else are we going to stop this? Would you rather Ai'Kammon go on being stalked by some sicko?" I place my arm around her shoulders, "Yes, I hate that it is hurting your cousin and P'Bright, but at least we are working to find who it is and make sure they stop."

"I just don't want to lose him, Oak," Maprang sighs, and I pat her head.

"We won't," I assure her, "We all will make certain of that."

"Thanks," Maprang mumbles.

"Can I ask a question?" I inquire without looking at her. I have been bothered by something for a while about Kammon.

"What?" Maprang pulls away and turns toward me.

"Where is Ai'Kammon's mom?" I ask. "You and he only ever mention his father."

I watch as she begins to chew on her bottom lip, which, to me, has become a sign that she is hiding something. I don't like that.

"'Prang?" I goad, "Where is she?"

"The US," Maprang gives in, "In some clinic or rehab there."

"Clinic or rehab? Why?" I question, "Is she ill? Ai'Kammon never mentioned it?"

"Kam doesn't know," Maprang confesses, "Uncle just tells him she has run off traveling, but my mom told me the truth." Maprang is picking at the coverlet on the bed. "Mom said that after Kam tried to kill himself, my aunt went a little crazy. My uncle is a hard man to live with. He wants everyone to be picture-perfect all the time, which is just nuts since he is far from the perfect husband and father by any means. Mom says my aunt has had other nervous breakdowns before because of the stress."

"And Ai'Kammon doesn't know about this?" I am confused. How could he not know about this?

"My aunt kept it controlled while Kam was living at home, but after almost losing her son," Maprang shrugs.

"So she went for treatment in the US? Couldn't she have done that here?" I ask.

"She could have, but my uncle was worried people would find out, and it might look bad on him," Maprang explains.

"But it is his wife," I blurt, "He should be worried about her health, not his damn image!"

"Tell that to him," Maprang sighs, "My uncle is such an ass." I have to agree with her on that.

"Wait," I stand up, "Ai'Kammon thinks she just ran off to travel. Does she contact him?" Maprang shakes her head. "Not at all?" I turn to Maprang, "So in his head, he has an image happy father and a mother who abandoned him?"

"Yeah," Maprang says, "I keep telling my mom to tell him where his mother is, but his mother made my mom promise she wouldn't."

"That is just bullshit, 'Prang!" I shout. "It is his mother, and she is ill! Promises or not, he deserves to know!" I glare down at my girlfriend. What kind of family am I going to marry into? Whoa! Wait! What? Not the time, Oak. I turn to walk out the door but stop. "Call your mom. Find out where your aunt is. We are telling him."