Fathers

Maprang's POV

"Where is he?" I mutter, glancing about the station. "Where the hell is he?" My phone rings, and I growl when I see it is Oak. I let it ring until it goes to voicemail, and I want to scream when it begins to ring again. "Not now, Oak!" I yell at the screen. I can't turn it off in case he calls. "Damn it, Kam! Where are you?"

I run over to the next platform and stop when I see him sitting on a bench with his back to me. I would know P'Bright's hoodie anywhere. Walking over, I tap him on his shoulder, gasping when he turns around. I cover my mouth to stop myself from screaming. Why?

My phone rings again, and this time, it is my mom. I answer it without even saying hello. "I found him. I will never see Uncle Mos again. Not in this lifetime or any! How could you let him do this, Mom? I don't care if he is family! He is YOUR family! NOT MINE! I have a family! And it doesn't include that man! If you side with him, Mom, it won't include you either." I hang up. I don't want to hear her make excuses for that bastard.

"You shouldn't talk to your mom like that," Kammon tells me without looking at me. I walk around the bench and sit down beside him.

"She shouldn't side with evil people," I counter while I rummage through my bag for a tissue. When I find one, I place it over the split in Kammon's lip. He takes it from me and glances at the blood on it.

"You would think it would have stopped by now," Kammon sighs.

"What did he say?" I ask, "I know he didn't just do that in silence. For one thing, your father is never silent. He loves to hear his own voice too much." Kammon chuckles at that.

"My guess is that the university contacted him about the P'Dean settlement," Kammon shrugs. "He ranted about how I should have never had admitted I had anything to do with that scandal. It will be a blemish on his constituency. Blah. Blah. Blah." Kammon looks at me. "Do you think he had me because I provide the token child required to be a family man worth the people's vote?"

"He wasn't always a dickhead politician," I lean back on the bench.

When Kam and I were little, his father was a great uncle. He took us places and really loved us. It was after the second election that he changed. Kam and I were both in middle school, and I could remember Kam was getting bullied. For once, Kam fought back. When his father showed up at his school, he made Kam apologize to the parents and the bullies. Even after the school principal explained that it was done in retaliation for bullying, that was when appearances started to mean more to my uncle than the people he should love.

"I miss my dad," Kammon says with a weak smile, "I don't miss my father." That has to be the saddest fact. He is right, though. His dad and his father might be the same man, but they are not the same person.

"You are right. Dads rock and fathers suck," I agree, "Plus, I miss my uncle, too." We sit there watching the people waiting for the next train. Kammon chuckles. "What about this is funny?" I ask, squinting at him.

"Remember when we went on family trips with Auntie Wren?" Kammon asks, tilting his head, waiting for me to get the joke.

"Oh, do you mean how she would keep us occupied why we waited for the bus or train?" I grin back and start to look around at the people.

"Yes," Kammon nods, "You want to play?" I nod, trying to find someone for the game, and spot a couple arguing nearby.

"I have mine," I turn to him, "You?"

"Yep," Kammon smirks. "Ying Jouk?" I nod again. We turn and face each other and make a fist. "Ready?"

"Be prepared to lose," I joke.