Graduation [chapter 12]

"In front of you are the top of your class! The ones who worked their asses off and persevered!" commander yelled while presenting the candidates. It was the top 11, you being in a tie for number one with Mikasa. The others, Annie, Reiner, Bertold, Eren, Jean, Connie, Sasha, Christa, and Marco, stood to the left of you and Mikasa.

"This place was getting kinda boring," you started to say, quiet enough for the commander not to hear, but for Mikasa and Annie, who were standing right beside you, to hear every word. "Glad I can finally get out and spread my wings and get out of my old temporary home," you finished.

"That will be all! Congratulations everyone!" the commander finished his speech, that you obviously weren't listening to, and told you all to go celebrate.

The passing cadets walked to the dining area where they were going to celebrate graduating their training after 3 years.

"So y/n," some random person you didn't bother learning the name of came up to you and started a conversation, "you're going to join the MP's, and get a spot cozy inside the walls? Must be nice having a secured spot."

"That's where you're wrong. I don't want to be a lazy bum like the military police, I'm joining the scouts," you replied.

"I shouldn't be surprised, you always do the craziest things," the person said with a sigh and a shake of their head in disappointment before walking off to bother somebody else.

You left out a sigh. You got up from your cozy little spot in the corner and walked over to Eren, wanting to let your social battery run down a little.

"Are you crazy?! Why would you join the scouts when you are guaranteed safety as an MP!?" someone yelled at Eren.

"I'm going to kill them all," Eren said referring to the titans, a murderous intent in his voice.

"Calm down Jamal, don't pull out the nine," you whispered to yourself before taking a spot next to the brunette.

"What's wrong with that? I'm doing the same thing he's doing," you intervened.

"I'm not surprised you did it. You're some sort of maniac! You both are!" he shouted, gaining even more attention.

"You say maniac, I say mentally hilarious," you responded with a shrug of you're shoulders.

"You guys are both going to get killed in the scouts! Do you want to die!?" he asked.

"Yes," you said with a nod of your head, earning you a jab in your stomach from Eren's elbow.

"We talked about this," he whispered.

"No," you corrected yourself, hints if dissatisfaction in your voice.

"Then don't join!" he yelled.

You looked at him for a minute, pretending you were thinking about not joining the scouts. "Maybe you're right..." you trailed off, giving him false hope.

"Fina-" he started, thinking he won the battle only for you to cut him off.

"I'm just playing, I'm totally joining the scouts," you interrupted him, laughing after seeing the look on his face.

"Finally, something we can agree on," Eren spoke up.

"What are you two!? Suicidal maniacs?!" the boy questioned.

"Oooh, I like the ring to that. It makes me sound kinda cool," you stated while looking at Eren with a slight smile on your face. The boy looked back at you with an eyebrow quirked before letting out a little chuckle.

"You're a fool! You should've just joined the MPs!" he shouted.

"Listen bud. Everybody has reasoning behind their decision, you have your's and I have mine. What use am I if I have great skills, but let them waste away by drinking with the MPs? Do you know why I even signed up to be a cadet in the first place?" you asked. He shook his head 'no'. "You see, you remember the first day? I told everyone I watched my mom and first ever friend get eaten by a titan right in front of my face. That friend, he wanted to be a scout. I decided that if he couldn't get the only thing he ever asked for, I might as well do it for him."

"Oh," the boy responded while finding the ground fascinating all of a sudden.

"Yeah, there is a lot more to me that I just don't show. Now if you're done throwing your little temper tantrum, I'm going to take my leave," you said while grabbing a loaf of bread and heading for the doors.

"Why are you leaving so soon?" Christa asked with a tone that had a bit of sadness in it.

"I'm just a little tired," you lied. You gave her a quick smile and flashed a peace sign before you left the party.

Were you tired? Yeah, lil bit. Were you actually going to go to sleep? No. You were just going away so you could be alone with your thoughts. And Marlin.

"You proud?" you asked.

"Of course! You didn't have to do this for me you know. You could've lived how you wanted," Marlin explained.

"And do what? I was already homeless and always had very little food. This was like my only option," you replied.

"Are you sure you want to do this? You can always join the military police, they are tons safer. Don't risk you life because if my stupid dream. If you die, then I won't have anyone to remember me! Don't do anything you feel like could get you killed!" Marlin said.

"Marlin, I want to do this. If I don't do it then I just waisted 3 years of my life. Plus, this is a win for you and a win for me!" you replied.

"How so?" Marlin asked.

"You see, you always wanted to be a scout so I'm doing this for you, and I get to risk my life! Do you know how exciting dying sounds?!" you responded with way too much enthusiasm when talking about getting killed.

"Oh," Marlin answered not knowing how to respond.

"Yuh."

"Is there another reason you're joining the scouts?" Marlin asked, obviously hinting at something.

"I guess to get a look of the world beyond the walls," you replied.

"Any other reasons?" Marlin asked, obviously not getting the answer he wanted out of you.

"No?" you responded.

"What about Eren?" Marlin said back, and you could just tell their was a smirk on his face.

"..." you were quiet for a moment, "maybe..."

"Oh my gosh," Marling groaned, "Stop being stubborn, and let my ship sail!"

"Ship?" you asked.

"Nothing!" he replied quickly.

"Mhmmm," you hummed in a judgement-like tone.

You slowly started to feel your eyes getting heavier. The lack of sleep was definitely catching up to you. Off to bed you go...

Little the did you know how traumatizing the next day was going to be.