Prologue

fair warning that this was like the second thing i ever wrote on wattpad and it's blown up way more than i thought it would. the writing is actually ass and things are funny every now and then but mostly just cringe. you are now no longer able to say i didn't warn you. read at your own risk.

"Mom?" you looked over at the woman who was holding your hand as she walked through the busy streets in your hometown of Shiganshina.

Your hair was let down, the wind blowing it through the air. A gray skirt that reached your shins covered the lower half of your body while a white blouse covered the top half of your body. Black flats were placed on your feet as you walked over the stone path below you.

Your mother was mostly occupied with dodging people and getting you back home safely since she had finished buying her groceries. She clutched your hand tighter as she saw a bunch of military police walking by her with their drunk selves.

"Yes sweetie?" she replied, not once looking down at you.

She pulled you into an alleyway, one that she easily knew the way to get back home from.

Your brows furrowed slightly, "Do you know what's outside the walls?"

"Yes," your mother nodded, now having the chance to look down at you since there weren't any people nearby to take you away from her, "There are titans. They are very dangerous, so I want you to stay away from the wall."

"What do the scouts do?" you asked her, skipping in a bit as you blindly followed your birth giver.

Your mother was a bit taken aback by the fact you had asked more than one question in a row. You weren't known for being the curious type. That was Marlin's job, you just knew everything since your best friend would ask the questions and you'd hear the answers to them.

"They kill the titans for us," you mother answered, "Why are you asking? You've never been curious about the scouts before."

"Because Marlin keeps talking about it," you answered. "He says they're really cool and that he's going to be one when he gets older. I'd not know why thought, the scouts seem kind of boring if you ask me."

"It's a very dangerous job," your mother informed you.

Your brows furrowed, "Why is it dangerous?"

Your mother stayed quite for a moment, trying to come up with an appropriate answer for a five year old to understand. She wove through the alley, turning a corner and coming out onto one of the main roads that appeared to be way less busy.

"Well," your mother spotted your house, "They have to kill the titans. And titans like to eat us."

"Why do they want to eat us?" the more your mother spoke about the scouts and the titans, the more curious you found yourself getting.

A small sigh came from your mother, "I don't know."

You went silent from there, millions of questions swirling through your mind for the first time since you were born. All those questions were left unanswered in your head for a long, long time.