Camerah [chapter 60]

sad to say this book will be coming to an end soon (like 10 or less chapters). i still don't know if i'll make a sequel, but i'll post something on my message board if i do decide to. also i'm coming out with a bakugo fic after this and bokuto one while i make the bakugo one. so uh yeah, enjoy!

"To the basement!" you skipped excitedly as you wandered behind Mikasa and Eren who were leading the way to their house.

"Did you used to live around here or some place else?" Hange asked you, wanting to know more about the place you used to live in.

"From right here, I lived about 30 minutes away. There weren't many things I would have to travel in this direction for, so I might be off by a bit," you admitted.

"I see," Hange nodded.

The rest of the trip was quiet, Mikasa and Eren would occasionally take pauses to take in their surroundings. It was understandable though. I mean, you haven't been to your home in almost 6 or 7 years.

"This is it?" Levi asked as the pair leading stopped in front of a house with a boulder on top of it.

"Yeah," Eren nodded.

"Nice rock. Was it used as decoration? If it was I would suggest using smaller ones next time, this one seems to be a bit big," you commented.

"That was just plain rude," Mikasa shook her head.

"Sorry. It's just I got the chance and I had to take it," you replied.

"Let's just go," Eren sighed as he started searching around for the trapdoor that would lead to the basement just about all the scouts died for.

You gasped when Eren opened the door which lead to a staircase, and at the end of the staircase was another door, "Another door."

"There's a keyhole, try using your key," Hange ordered Eren.

Eren put the key to the hole, but the key was too big. (this sounds so wrong taken out of context)

"The hole is too small," Eren replied with brows furrowed.

You let out a sigh, "Thanks for stating the obvious," you said before kicking the door knob to loosen it.

"Come on in," you said to them as you held the door open for everyone, acting like you owned the place.

The five of you searched around the basement. You were gaping at the amount of books there, all of which you didn't even know existed. Many were medical books, but there were some fairytales that were stored down there and caught your interest.

"Your father has good taste in books," you said to Eren as you brushed your hand against the spine of the books.

"Oi, don't get distracted. Remember what we came here for in the first place," Levi scolded as he tapped the back of your head lightly to get you to focus on the mission.

"Right," you nodded as you continued to search for a key hole of some sort.

"Found something," Eren said as he did something with the desk.

You once again blanked out, tuning back in when you were hovering over the desk drawer that had some books and a picture in it.

"Woah. You can use a ca-mer-ah," you said, pronouncing out the foreign word on the note, "And it uses a flash to paint a picture. But there's a twist, the painting is the real life things except captured on this thing called film," you gasped, accidentally being a fan girl over the camera.

"Seriously?" Mikasa asked mesmerized from the realistic painting as she looked over your shoulder to also read the note.

"Yeah! It's so cool. I want to use the camerah!" you said excitedly.

"Ca-mer-ah," Mikasa said, pronouncing the word out the same way you had done it.

"I need to show Sasha this camerah," you said with a wide grin.

"You can, but I'm going to need to hold onto that until we get to the wall. That's valuable information and I don't want you accidentally ruining it," Levi said as he pried the note and picture out of your hand.

"That's fair," you nodded as you started to exit the basement.

"Did you find anything?" Armin asked immediately upon seeing you, Levi, Mikasa, Eren, and Hange landed on the walls.

"Yeah!" you nodded your head rapidly, the excitement you had being evident to everyone.

"What did you find?" Jean asked.

"A picture taken with this thing called a ca-mer-ah," you informed, slowly sounding out the syllables.

"Can I see the picture?" Sasha asked, her back no longer being hunched over as she had taken interest in the camera.

"Yeah. Dad, can I have the picture?" you asked Levi while holding out your hand, eyes sparkling with joy.

Levi nodded, handing you the picture while biting his tongue to prevent himself from smiling. He thought your facial expression was cute, and you acting like a toddler only made him want to smile more. Nonetheless, he managed to suppress the urge.

You eagerly grabbed the picture, showing Sasha the image.

"That looks like a really realistic painting," Sasha marveled.

"I know, right? Now here's the twist, it's not a painting," you said as you bit your lip slightly to bring down your smile more. (does anybody else bite their lip when they smile or is that a me thing?)

"No way," Sasha gasped.

"Yes way," you replied, "Light reflects into this piece of paper that's called film, or something like that. I don't know, but it's really cool," you said as you handed Sasha the picture.

"Woah," she said, "Connie, Jean! Come check this out!" she beckoned the two over.

They walked away from the rest of the survivors and towards the two of you.

"What?" Connie asked.

"Look at the picture taken from the camerah," you told Connie and Jean.

They both did as asked, looking in awe at how realistic a painting could look without paint.

"Woah," Connie said.

"Do you have something that tells you how a camerah works?" Jean asked, now interested in the new thing.

"Mhm," you nodded while handing him the note that came with it.

Jean read over the note, letting out a little sigh and looking up when he finished.

"It's pronounced camera," he told you.

"Camerah," you argued.

"Camera," he argued.

"Mikasa!" you called her over, Mikasa doing as asked and jogging towards your group. "How do you pronounce this word?" you asked while pointing at the word you and Jean were arguing about.

"Camerah," she replied.

"See," you said sassily to Jean.

"Armin," Jean said as he knelt down to the boy who was simply sitting criss-cross while he caught his breath, letting the recent events sink in, "How do you pronounce this word?"

"Camera," Armin replied after looking at the word.

"See," Jean copied you sassy tone after getting Armin, the smartest person in your squad, to agree with him on the pronunciation.

"You say camera, we say camerah," you replied while turning and walking away.