chapter 16

For me, you're just a little boy like hundreds of thousands of other little boys. And I don't need you. And you don't need me either. For you, I'm just a fox like hundreds of thousands of other foxes. Well, if you tame me, we'll recognize eachother. You will be the only one in the world for me. I will be the only one in the world for you - a fox, The Little Prince

                                    ..................................................

I staggered back at his disturbing confession. Even though I knew Niragi wasn't the most mentally stable man, I would never say he could get this deranged. Part of me didn't fully believe him, knowing that saying this to me is a warning to not get entirely close to him, Niragi being aware of his own twisted actions and ideas.

His head was tilted to his left side, looking straight at me with an emotionless face, his eyes still holding the softness every time he glanced at me. I was confused, the fact that he liked me but would kill me if I did one wrong move absurd. He is a ticking bomb that I don't want to anger, or I may end up 6 feet under like my mother.

I wanted to tell him something, the words bubbling in my chest, but my mind was mangled, numb in some way. I was prepared for this moment, subconsciously knowing that he would never get over the trauma people caused him and that was quite understandable. Mix in this world where his twisted feelings can thrive like grass during spring, and you got a merciless killing machine on your hands.

Everyone is going to kill one day in this Utopia. Either kill other players or themselves. That was the point of us being here. Our mission.

So I just nodded my head slowly at him, my eyes not bearing the weight of his own, and looking down at the floor. My body turned around, making its way to Chishiya's room, the thought of him making me calmer in a very disturbing way. As I was about to open the door, Niragis's voice stopped my actions.

„I'm sorry." he let out, the words not spoken in years, the need to apologize not felt until this very moment.

My head snapped in his direction, my eyes passive, still not knowing how to feel about his overwhelming appearance.

„Me too..."

I finally opened the door, not bothering to see Niragi's reaction, and shutting it gently behind me. I closed my eyes, leaning my back against the white wood, trying to catch my breath after the confrontation. Are all men so complicated? Life was so easy when I had Kuina, everything seemed possible, the time endless. After she left it was like a black hole crossed my life, swallowing every light and consuming it in seconds. It felt like hours until something interrupted me.

„Are you going to stand there till the morning?" Chishiya's voice echoed in the room, successfully snapping me from my pathetic past. I opened my eyes, my head still tilted back against the door, and looked at him. He was sitting on a chair, papers scattered across the table, the homemade taser placed in some cardboard box.

In his hand was a ballpoint pen, the end placed between his lips, his hair tied up in a ponytail instead of bun now. His cat-like eyes stared at me, my whole body feeling on fire just by his intense gaze. The lamp was turned on, lighting his face in an appealing way.

Chishiya raised his eyebrows at my unresponsiveness, smirking slightly before putting the pen away from his lips and going back to the writing. „I take your silence as a yes Y/n." he mused, completely humored by the always startled looking girl. He sometimes found it cute. But he will definitely never tell her that.