chapter 39

Beach was a lonely place. Utterly empty in the night, in the day bustling with empty people. My feet tapped silently on the floor of the seemingly haunted mansion, but the quietness forced my heels to sound as yells. I looked everywhere, in almost every room Chishiya could have been but ultimately, my eyes never landed on him. My feet hurt as almost an hour passed since the meeting with the two girls and An, but it felt like it was mere minutes, my desire to just feel his presence to lull me back to sleep twisting my brain.

Of course, I wasn't stupid, the first room I visited was his. At first, I fully expected him to be there waiting and wondering why I didn't listen to his commands, leisurely laying on his bed, the book in his hands. But I was utterly wrong, as my cold hand opened the wooden door, the only thing I found is a messy bed we left, not a soul present there. My face soured at the thought, remembering how right after I hurriedly checking every place he could have been, scared that he got stabbed or hurt again.

Yes, I hated that man, but I couldn't deny I cared for him deeply. It was bad, so so bad, his eyes as if poison to my heart, every time he glanced at me, a rush of the alluring painful shivers going through my body. I was still on the edge of what our relationship is, for some reason I never question his behavior and how it could be put in one label. But this hour, where my heart dropped every time I opened a room or went into a hallway and he wasn't standing there, made me realize that this cannot continue.

The only place that was left was the rooftop, but then again it didn't come to my mind why would he go there? To chill while leaving me alone? Chishiya wasn't that type of an idiot, that's why it boggled my mind to find out the real reason why he would be there. I stepped up the stairs as quietly as possible, opening the glass door at the end, the chilly air swooshing in my face immediately. It was a magnificent night, the full moon greeting everyone who looked up, the stars proudly around it.

From the top where I stood, I had a clear view of the rest of the city - Tokyo. Since I was a kid I loved how the streetlights twinkled, the led signs above the corner shops, the huge cyberpunk panels, where numerous people and things appeared on. I loved the colorful night, bustling with people of numerous ethnicities and races, their styles so different from each other. The boring became the special, while the special became the norm. I loved it.

But now, as my arms crossed across my chest after I closed the door silently, my eyes gazing at the distant buildings, there was nothing pretty about it. Only as if unrendered blocks and shapes stood there, empty and undistinguished, the lights of the supposedly fun gaming arenas making the atmosphere of the outdoors even more twisted. And to think there are players there, fighting for their life at this moment was heartbreaking.

I sighed and turned around, focusing on the task at my hand right now. I slowly started to walk, not noticing anyone yet, the roof so big that I couldn't even look clearly to the other side. The cold crisp air gave me shivers, goosebumps appearing on my whole body as I passed the first ventilation block. It was hard to say what was a figure and what just a technical object, hearing faint music in the background.

Inside the mansion, it was quiet, yes, but outside it was a different story. I went looking for Blondie around twenty minutes ago to the location of the pool, thinking that maybe he went for a... Swim? I was desperate at the moment, my legs leading me there, yet only to feel my heart drop to my stomach as I didn't saw the familiar platinum head. What I saw a quarter-hour ago was just only a handful of Beach residents, either passed out on the floor, or some still drinking and slow dancing to the beat.

My mouth turned downwards at the memory, looking down at the floor as I thought about everything that happened, the lack of proper sleep also a factor in my giving up. I was tired physically and mentally, also the havoc that is going to happen tomorrow messing up with my head. I wasn't excited, I was scared shitless. Hopefully, I am in Aguni's good book, or one mistake is going to cost me my own life.