chapter 19

My shaky breaths were heard through the reception, the folder still opened above me on the desk. I looked on the floor, focusing on the strands of my hair one by one, trying to slow down my whole system. My opened jaw trembled slightly, the one word flashing through my mind too fast for me to rationally think.

Chishiya.

Blondie's last name.

When the accident happened, I was high and drunk. I didn't fully remember what took place the day after, week after, even month after. But then one unfortunate day everything came back and the memory puzzle was solved. In the time of my memory regression, I didn't bother to watch yet another murder happen in Tokyo on the news, resulting in knowing nothing about the dead man.

After my discovery I stayed home for months after, not just because I was disgusted with myself but also because of the intense paranoia about police catching me. I didn't bother to research about the investigation, trying to forget it, my brain denying that something ever happened.

Slowly time passed and the pretty clear memory became only a few flashes of the body yet again. I still knew what happened, but I just put a veil on the images, rather not wanting that in my mind. But this made it all came back, remembering even more details.

„How am I going to talk to Blondie now?" I mumbled, my eyes wide.

My hands gripped the desk, my whole form standing up slowly. What happened is already behind me now, in this world nobody will care about some random case that happened 2 years ago. Everybody has blood-stained hands caused by twisted games, nobody could tell me I am a monster.

I tried to talk myself up, the logic taking its place now. The only problem was Chishiya's involvement, but with his attitude to everything, he probably didn't care about the case. Hopefully...

I glanced at the paper in the dreaded file before my hand quickly reached and closed it, putting it under the other murder folders. I was about to grab the flashlight off the ground, deciding to look for The Little Prince even after the personal discovery, but a set of steps interrupted me.

I immediately turned off the bright light, ducking under the wooden table quickly. I had a bad feeling about this, everything was completely dark, the cold metal of the gun grazing my skin. I snatched it from my pants, a frown placed on my face.

The clicking of heels was coming closer, glad that it was a woman rather than some big muscle guy that would snap my head in half. But life makes fun of me once again, as another pair of feet was echoing in the building, calm and slow, probably a man. I could hear muffled voices striking a conversation.

„Keiichi..." a female squeaky voice echoed in the half-empty room. „Stage 2 is going to commence soon, we both know that." the man hummed quietly as if he wasn't want to be there. „We are finally going to delight the players with our true selves! I can finally be the queen I was meant to be. So many new games, so much suffering. I can feel it on my tongue already!" the girl giggled deranged.

I gripped the gun tighter, the psychopathic sounding girl making me more alert. The words that came out of her mouth confused me. Is she the game master? Before I could ask myself more questions in my head, the man started talking.

„Don't get ahead of yourself Mira, there is still time and anything could go wrong." Keiichi said sternly, his deep voice giving me goosebumps. „I have a feeling that Chishiya is already on us, you know that he would do anything to get the cards and accomplish his goals." he continued, his voice nonchalant.

„Oh, my dear Keiichi! His strong ambition is why I put him here! The thought that he would kill anyone in cold blood for his own survival is so fascinating...He is the only one that actually doesn't care."