chapter 29

After the crazy Hatter's speech ended, the militants untied the pair of players that were bound on the chair, while I immediately walked out of the room with others who were uninterested in the outcome of Arisu and his friend's arrival, while I was just tired and honestly unbothered to even try to explain to my lost familiar why I am here and why was the long-haired dude in a robe threatening to kill them.

I felt someone shove me, but I ignored them, walking out of the room into the golden-covered hallway, Chishiya's touch left in the big room. I still pondered over his unexplainable and totally rash behavior, feeling like in an elevator when I am with him, always up and down, my emotions following his suit. The lower you fall determines how high you feel when you jump up.

And it feels like heaven when he does the most simple things.

It was dangerous how he worked, pleasing people with the least effort because everybody knew how distant most of the time he was. I huffed out a breath, the mansion feeling cold, the warm colors turning into blues and greys. It was almost evening, not even realizing that time existed, i was so kindly invested in fixing up Blondie and the shitshow that happened, almost the whole council starring in it. Where was Kuina anyways?

„Y/n! Wait!"

I stopped and turned around at the familiar voice, exactly knowing who it belongs to. I tried to have a neutral expression on my face, but it was more of a grimace of guilt, not wanting to talk to Arisu. „When did you come here? Who are these people? Are you okay?" his million-dollar questions were heard in the hallway as he stopped in his little run, some people passing by without looking, others talking loudly about tonight's evening games.

I looked down, another set of steps heard in front of me, the girl whispering something to Arisu quietly, while I contemplated my answers. „I came here a week ago, a day or two after Chishiya helped me." I looked up at him, seeing both of them cautiously listening, the only difference was the sad-looking gaze Arisu was giving me.

„These people-," I motioned all around me with my hands and continued. „ -this place is okay. They will not do anything to you until you try something stupid or threatening to the council." Usagi let out a long breath before her gaze turned into a questioning one. „Those people are the council? Like the highest in this so-called Utopia?" she smartly commented, waiting for my answer.

„Yes." I said simply, knowing that this wasn't the best place to explain the rules of this primitive not so little club, wanting to take a nap before the shit is going to go down with the stupid games. The evenings here were the fucking worst, lucky that I only participated 3 times during my stay here, not once with Chishiya or Kuina. They would be always together in the big hall before the event before they disappear and come back in the morning.

I didn't bother to ask, feeling like I would invade something that I shouldn't put my nose in.

The pair in front of me looked at each other before I realized something missing. Someone missing. I furrowed my eyebrows, my subconscious mind already smelt the bad news. „Arisu." I said softly before I came closer to the man but still giving him space. „Where is Chota, Karube?" his face scrunched up at the mention of his friends, shaking his head at me. „Shibuki?" he shook his head again before I let out a shaky huff.

They are dead.

I knew them for one day. Few hours. They still managed to carve a deep memory into my soul, their friendship, their smiles, their pain. I felt it all, even in such a short time period, I managed to see all the pretty and all the ugly,  the two things that are essential for humans to sincerely connect. I gulped, feeling guilty that I left them, but at the same time glad that I didn't see the beautiful rot, getting destroyed by some psychopaths with mental issues who made this game.