chapter 46

The three of us stood in front of the big golden doors, me and Arisu slightly behind Chishiya. The sun from the humongous windows at the end of the hallway glistened brightly at every figure who stood near, the yellowish castle-worthy designs almost getting lost as they reflected the pure white hue.

I felt the taller man beside me glance at my dazed form, hearing his hand shuffle with the swimming bottoms he had on, knowing he was certainly skirmish about the whole situation. But wouldn't be everyone, when Niragi was glaring at us few meters behind, Usagi already god knows where walking away from us the fastest possible?

„Be prepared." Chishiya's voice said quietly, his head looking back at us with the usual smirk, almost as if he was amused by our paler faces. He skimmed over Arisu at first, not really paying him attention, then his eyes falling on my face. Chishiya opened his mouth slightly, his hands grabbing the door handles, before giving a little nod of what seemed to be reassurance with his head and turning back around.

I tightly smiled at his attention and looked down quickly, not wanting anyone to see my very pleasantly disturbed expression, only hearing the slight shrill of the huge doors opening, another bright light source forcing me to snap my eyes to the front and realize how doomed we are.

We slowly walked inside, already a handful of people inside, and even if I didn't clearly see him at the moment, I knew Hatter was there somewhere. My eyes immediately snapped to Mira, the guy in glasses she seems to stick with right next to her side, his hand coming up to push them back on the bridge of his nose.

There were around ten people in the room, but as I felt something bump into my shoulder roughly, getting a glimpse of the black and white shirt, I knew Niragi joined in on the session, making the number eleven. Of course, my hand snapped to the soon-to-be bruised skin, the feral bitch having the audacity to look back at me and wink.

I was about to say something very offensive regarding his behavior, but a hand gripping my arm gently, bringing my whole body further into the room snapped me out of my malicious daydream. Chishiya dragged me to his side, the two of us landing right in front of the long table where the dead body laid.

I stiffened up at the sight, surprised by the fact that Hatter didn't look that dead to me, well besides the evident gun wound located on his chest, the few drops of blood glistening in the brightly lit room. I felt the fingers slowly release my upper arm, dropping down with a graze to my hip as I took in a sharp breath in.

I didn't even notice that I was squished between the two men, Arisu on my left, my eyes glancing at the silenced tall boy that just had a horrified expression splattered on his face. There was no sound echoing in the room, as if even the most gruesome of people had some morality to mourn the poor man lifeless on the table, or maybe nobody had the balls to say anything as they looked at Aguni who just emptily gazed at Hatter.

There was something insanely terrifying about the man, not his height or the scar that ran down his eye, but the vulnerable look he had on his face sometimes.

The silence was broken up by two pairs of rushed feet who barrelled into the room, immediately recognizing the white blouse and tall height, An worriedly striding with some guy that seemed kind of familiar. She stopped a distance away from the dead man, looking completely shocked as she took in his motionless body. She certainly had a lot on her plate, especially after what happened mere hours away.

„It seems like he couldn't clear the game." the boy in the cap behind An let out, at the interested look of all of us continuing. „The maintenance team found him by chance in Shinjuku, while we were refilling the gasoline."

I furrowed my eyebrows, looking to Mira as I remembered what I heard in the hallway with Niragi and Aguni arguing. Mira is a quiet mouse. The words that left my old friend's mouth the night before floated all around my head, my eyes getting out of focus as I gazed at the raven-haired woman. I didn't buy in the slightest the story that was told now, actually getting more confused about the identity of the culprit.