chapter 17

The room with the two young players was still dark as a cloudy night, both sleeping peacefully, lullabied by the presence of each other. Nightmares were chased away by the soft breaths hitting their skin, their faces finally calmed from the turmoil inside. People often think opposites attract, creating a whole circle, a stable foundation. But how much worth is peace without a little suffering? The painful truth is, that only destruction and clashing can make something ordinary as tranquility special.

But how much would the serenity last until the evil ruined it again?

Chishiya stirred in his unplanned sleep, his mind blank, the vivid dreams he had gone with age. Sometimes he hoped he would dream again once, wanting to explore something more than the pitiful world. The not-so-heavy weight pressed against his waist, the warm fingers touching his bare skin gently. His sleepy eyes looked at the messy-haired head laying on his chest, her face in the crook of his neck.

He would be angry, the thought of someone cuddling him forcefully would blaze his senses, but the arm tightly gripping the girl's form says that he in fact was not forced into this position. Chishiya truly felt repulsed by himself, the thought that his subconscious mind willingly did this made him feel betrayed. He groaned quietly, tightly shutting his eyes, hoping she would disappear if he did that.

But he didn't move his hand away, his palm still placed on her hip gently.

Y/n's breaths softly hit his pale neck, the shiver from the hot air coursing through his whole body. He clenched his jaw, knowing that if they kept climbing up at this pace, he would end up a person he didn't recognize, didn't want to be. He wasn't naive, even though he didn't like humans as much as is morally right, he still knew he was capable of feelings.

And he did have them. Once.

Even with his fear of emotions, Chishiya still wanted to make the girl cuddling into his side his companion, knowing that in near future he should tell Kuina about her. It is going to be hard, but nothing impossible. The only thing that scratched his mind was his plans to steal the cards, not yet knowing how to place his human chess pieces to his own benefit.

He took everything as a strategic game, the only goal is to win with his intelligence, violence coming to a close second.

Chishiya raised his arm that wasn't wrapped around Y/n, the watch on his wrist saying that it's 8:15, signaling that he should get up and finally make his coffee. He gently lifted his hand from the girl's hip, not trying to wake her up and face her confused doe eyes. God knows what he would do at the sight.

She moved a little bit, feeling his heat leaving her side, her head lifting as he removed the top of his arm from under her face. Her comfortable pillow was now gone, leaving Chishiya laying on the bed next to her without touching the girl now. Even though her features were covered in the pitiful darkness, he could feel her discomfort after he left her side.

She reached her hand to him subconsciously, mumbling a small no as a protest of his actions. He dodged the clumsy palm with ease, the smallest atom in his body whispering quietly, trying to persuade him to stay in with her, not leaving Y/n alone.

Chishiya easily ignored it, not even blinking an eye at the only dumb part of his mind.

He stood up from the bed, stretching his arms to the air like a cat, then cracking his knuckles. The hair tie was loose from the actions he did in his sleep, removing it and running his hand through his long blonde strands. Surprisingly the bleach didn't damage his hair entirely, leaving it still soft, the roots growing now darker reminding him of the original deep brown hair that he inherited from his mother.

Chishiya turned on the desk lamp, bringing it down so he doesn't disturb Y/n peaceful looking sleep. The table was scattered with his papers, with either drawings, technical plans, or just filled with notes about the Beach system and its people. There were not a lot of activities to really do in this world, most players filling their free time with sex, drugs, parties, and things that make people forget about their own misery.