Prologue

"Hey, Lily! There you are!" Niall exclaimed excitedly. I had just arrived at the boys' house. Niall had invited me to Louis' birthday party and earlier I wasn't sure if I was actually going to go or not. I loved Louis; he was one of my best friends as well as Niall, Liam, Zayn, and Harry, but it would be tense if I went.

I knew Harry was obviously going to be there, and that might make it a little awkward. Last night, Harry was helping me find the perfect birthday gift for Louis. We went to a bunch of different stores and were at the mall for hours. Finally, I found something and by that time, Harry and I were really hungry. We quickly went to a restaurant; I didn't think anyone would say anything about us. The waitress came up and said, "You two are a cute couple."

I blushed and just as I was about to say, "Oh, we're just friends." Harry said, "Thank you," and grinned. She walked away and Harry just smiled at me. "What was that about?" I asked, jokingly. He answered with, "I've been meaning to tell you something. I just didn't know when the right time would be."

"Um, okay." Then he looked nervous and bit his lip. "Lily, I like you. I've liked you for a while now, but I was too scared to tell you." I didn't know what to say. Then, out of nowhere, he kissed me! It was a short one, but it still surprised me. "Harry, I can't." He was sweet, but he didn't know that I liked Niall. It still broke my heart to see his expression when I told him the truth. "You like Niall?" Harry asked for the third time, not believing me. I slowly nodded.

"Does he know?" Harry asked sadly. I shook my head, "I was going to tell him soon though." Harry had tears in his somber, green eyes, making me feel worse. I didn't like him more than a best friend, but I hated seeing him upset. "I, uh, thought you were talking to Taylor." Harry immediately shook his head, "No. She's nice, but she's too controlling." All I could say was "Oh" before Harry paid for our meals and left.