X is Afraid of You

“Ouch!” Another rock on the trail in the woods had gotten stuck in my heels. I’m really starting to hate these shoes! “You’re the one who thought going in the creepy woods was a good idea.” Justin kept feeling the need to continue telling me how bad of an idea this was.

“I know, I know. You told me that 10 times already. You weren’t coming up with any smart ideas so what was I supposed to do?” We continued stumbling through the woods using our phones as our only light sources. “You could’ve done what a normal person would’ve done. I mean, what kind of person would choose the spooky forest over a nice, warm car ride?” I sighed and stopped walking.

“You didn’t have to come. I shouldn’t have asked you to help me find Eleanor. I bet everyone is worrying about where you are, and it’s my fault. I’m sorry.” Justin looked at me with puppy dog eyes and frowned.

“I want to help you though. Now that I know what’s really going on, I can’t just leave you alone. You could be kidnapped and raped. Then, Niall will never forgive me and we won’t be friends anymore.” I raised an eyebrow at him and he smiled. “You’re friends with Niall?” Justin laughed and began walking. I had to hurry to catch up because his legs were longer than mine. “Yes, now let’s focus. Where do you think we should go?”

“Well, X said there would be clues.” I stated. I scanned the trees around me and hunted for any helpful signs. “Maybe X was lying.” I shrugged at Justin and we continued to search aimlessly. “I really hope not.” I commented as I saw something strange from a distance.

“Over there!” Both of us rushed over and found ourselves in front of a dark blue “X” painted on a tree. “Does this even count as a clue?” Justin said. “Well maybe you could look at the foot of the tree.” I responded sarcastically. Don’t get me wrong, I love Justin, but he seriously complains…a lot.

“You don’t have to be so mean.” Justin whined. He bent down and collected a note. “May I?” He asked. I shrugged and quietly said, “Why not?” He cleared his throat and spoke loudly. I guess how loud he is doesn’t matter since this place is abandoned.

“Well, well…I didn’t think you two would be smart enough to find the first clue. Here are a few hints…” Justin dramatically paused and I giggled. “First, think of someone that you knew well in middle school.” Justin looked at me and I gave him a face that said “I’m thinking”.

“Your next clue will be found where lips locked when the strobe lights flashed.” I rolled my eyes at that stupid riddle and Justin laughed. “That sucks. We have to go all the way back to Ed Sheeran’s house, and I don’t even know where we are.” Justin groaned as I stated the obvious. We were completely lost in the middle of nowhere.

“Well I’ll try to see where we could go while you think of people you knew in middle school. Personally, I think X is a girl, because she sounds like a bitch.” “True that.” I replied, thinking about who I knew. “There was this girl named Blaire. I was good friends with her in 7th grade, but she was always so nice.” Justin smirked at me and said, “All the more reason to suspect her.” I just nodded, but I don’t think she’s X. “Anyone else?” Justin questioned. “Let me think.” I ordered and he went silent.

“There was also Maddie. We had a fight in 6th grade because we both liked the same guy, but that was so stupid.” Justin nodded, showing that he was listening. “This way,” He took my arm and led me in a different direction. That makes me think of One Direction…Niall. I wish Niall was here with me. Justin’s sweet but only Niall can make me feel like I’m totally safe with him. “Who else?”

Justin asked after a while. “Well there were two girls that were my best friends in 8th grade. We would do everything together. We made plans to always try to stay in touch in high school, but things changed the summer after 8th grade. They had classes together, but I was left out. I didn’t have a single class with them. They also became really popular over the summer. I was the loser then. I was someone who no one wanted to be around. I mean, eventually I made better friends, but it still really hurt me that they’d left me like that.”

“Aw, I’m sorry Lily.” Justin gave me a reassuring side hug and I sighed. “What were their names? What did they look like? Do you know what X looks like?” Justin asked too many questions at one time. “Wait a second! Ask one question at a time!”

He chuckled and tried relaxing. “Sorry, so what were their names?” I didn’t even have to think. I knew the traitors’ names instantly. I could see their faces in my mind too. “Hallie and Nicole” It felt weird saying their names since I hadn’t seen them in forever. I used to be shocked that they ditched me, but now I know that they were jealous bitches all along. Oh my gosh…I just cussed. It was in my head but still surprising!

“What did they look like?” Justin’s voice made me jump. I’d been in my own little pathetic world and had forgotten all of the craziness going on around me. “Hallie had straight, golden hair that ended just past her shoulders. Nicole had light brown hair and her eyes were blue. Oh and Hallie had hazel eyes.” Justin made a quiet “Hmm” while he thought about my answers. “Have you seen X before?”

“Briefly,” I answered unemotionally. “Justin, where are we going? We’re going to be walking around in circles forever! Who knows what X could be doing to Eleanor!?” Justin stopped me with his arm and put his finger to my lips. Well, this was just a little awkward.

“I don’t think X would do anything that could really hurt Eleanor. I think X wants you to find her. She obviously loves playing stupid games, and if she hurt Eleanor badly, then you wouldn’t go along with her little game. You’d immediately call the cops and the game would be over. She knows that she has to be careful. You wanna know what I think though?”

Justin leaned in closer to my face; his lips hovered beside my ear. “What?” I squeaked. I really hoped that he wouldn’t start flirting with me. “I think X is afraid of you.”

Justin’s P.O.V.

“I think X is afraid of you.” I whispered in Lily’s ear. I have to admit, she’s really pretty. Obviously, she’s with Niall and I wouldn’t take her away from him. I’m not like that. “W-what?” She asked, caught off guard. “X acts like you’re so predictable, but you don’t have to be. You need to do something she wouldn’t expect.”

A smile appeared on Lily’s face like she had an idea. “What’s that suspicious smile for?” I teased. “I need to call someone.” I gave her a quizzical face and she ignored it, pulling out her phone, but she had a certain spark in her eyes. What was she up to?

_______________________________________

Hmm, I wonder…

~Isabella:)