3 Special Words

“How much does Niall eat every day?” I was talking to Ashley while the boys ate. “The world will never know.” I replied, making us giggle. “We should switch off telling each other things about us, so we can get to know each other better.” I nodded, “Good idea.” She was sipping her hot cocoa, so I decided to go first.

“I’m 17 years old and I go to school with Niall and Harry. My favorite color is light blue or maybe neon green. My favorite animal is an owl. I suck at sports, but I’m an artist and I think I’m pretty good at playing the piano. I love reading a lot, but these crazy boys distract me so I don’t get to read very much anymore.” I smiled, “Your turn.”

 She set the white mug down and began. “I’m 17 as well. I wish I could transfer to your school. My parents are thinking of moving so maybe I could suggest somewhere close to you guys. I guess I’m okay at archery but other than that, I try to stay away from sports. Art isn’t really my thing, but I can honestly say I’m good at music. I play the violin and my teacher says I’m the best in the class. My favorite color is dark blue or navy. I love all animals, so it’s really hard to choose one. Although if I absolutely had to; it would be a cat.”

“Oh my gosh! If you say that around Harry, he’ll literally flip!” Wow, we were so similar! “It would be so cool if you went to our school!” We talked for a long time, and then she had to leave. “This was fun. Maybe we could hang again at the mall or something, but I have no problem coming here.” I laughed.

“Yeah, that would be awesome!” She hurried out the door and I shut it. Harry and Zayn went out to a club, so Niall had to be here. “Nialler?” He came up from behind, hugging me. “I missed talking to you, Lily.” Niall smiled at me and we went outside.

“Do you wanna swim?” He was eager, but I didn’t feel like swimming right now. “Well, I don’t really feel like swimming. You can though and I’ll put my feet in.” His smile faltered slightly but he agreed anyways.

He took his shirt off and I quietly gasped. I couldn’t stop myself from watching him. He stepped in the pool and smiled at me. I smiled back and he came closer to where I had put my feet in. “Will you please come in? I feel lonely.” I felt bad, but I didn’t want to swim. I was exhausted already. “Sorry, Niall. I’m too tired. Maybe I’ll swim with you tomorrow.”

His eyes looked sad, “It won’t be the same.” “Why not?” I questioned. He looked startled. “Wait, did I say that out loud?” I nodded and smiled, biting my lip. “Oh, I didn’t mean to.” His face was pink again like it was earlier. “Aw, you’re blushing again.” I said. He blushed even more, turning red. “What did you mean though?”

He considered and then told me, “Well, I meant that tomorrow it won’t be just us. It won’t be as special.” Now it was my turn to blush. “That’s really sweet.” He grinned and his arm touched my leg in the water. I didn’t realize that the whole lower half of my leg was in the water.

“Niall, can I ask you something?” He nodded. “Well, you know how I had that nightmare and I went to you?” “Yeah…” He didn’t know where I was going with this. “I heard you say sweet dreams…and then something else. A couple days ago, you said “I...” and never got to finish. What were you trying to say?”

His eyebrow furrowed and he didn’t say anything. I reached out and put my hand in his hair. “I don’t remember.” He answered, trying to appear innocent while glancing up at me. His eyes actually gave him away though; I knew he was lying. “You’re lying, Niall. I can tell.” He sighed softly.

“I don’t know if you’ll want to hear it.” He looked nervous. “Of course I will, Nialler.” He slowly took my hand and held it. “Lily” I loved the way he said my name. Even though everyone called me it, of course, he made my name sound pretty; like it was something valuable and worth saying.

“Can I tell you later, when I’m out of the pool?” Hearing him say that made me annoyed.  I wanted so badly for him to say the 3 special words. “Sure, whatever.” I didn’t like being mad at him. I knew I needed to apologize and give him a hug.

I know he can be really sensitive sometimes, but he’s been dragging this out for a while now. Why couldn’t he just say it? We've known each other for years! “You’re mad at me now.” He stated. “No, why would you think that?” I got up and went inside.

I heard him get out of the pool, dry off with a towel, and walk inside too. I was sitting in a chair at their table in the kitchen. I laid my head down on the table, on top of my crossed arms. Of course he doesn’t love me. Why did I think he would say that? We aren’t even dating. Even though I begged my eyes not to let them out, the tears fell. “Lily, I’m sorry.”

Niall apologized behind me. He didn’t know I was crying until I accidentally sniffled. He gave me a hug from behind. “Please don’t cry. I hate seeing you cry.” “Are you sure it isn’t that you just hate me?” He kneeled on the ground beside me and wiped away tears that stayed on my cheek. They were replaced by new ones though, and he wiped away those too. I know I am being insensible at the moment, but I can't stop myself.

“I could never hate you. Did you really think that was possible?” I shrugged and turned my head to face his. I didn’t plan this, but his face was close enough for me to see how long each of his eyelashes were. I also saw a tear in the corner of his left eye.

His usually light blue eyes now appeared turquoise. His hands came closer and they held my face. “The first time I tried to tell you, we were interrupted. When I finally told you this morning, you were already dozing off. What if something happens again?” He had tried to make me listen twice already and something ruined it. I guess I shouldn’t be mad at him.

“I don’t think anything will happen this time. I won’t fall asleep, and I don’t think anyone is coming back for at least an hour. Tell me.” He breathed in and shakily breathed out. “Lily Katelyn Carter” He murmured in my ear, causing me to shiver.

“I love you. I’ve been waiting forever to tell you that. Will you be my girlfriend?” More tears fell, but this time they were tears of joy. “I’ve been waiting forever to hear you say that.” I smiled and he kissed both of my cheeks slowly and meaningfully. He pulled away and whispered, “Is that a yes?”

I closed my eyes and forcefully said, “No”.

___________________________________________

I bet you guys weren’t expecting that!! Haha now I sound evil. Don’t freak out though, it sets up a good plot for the next chapter. I know it was kind of a short chapter, sorry about that.

Well, poor Niall. I wonder how he’ll react to that response….

~Isabella:)