Why Do You Have to Make Things So Complicated?

A/N: I hope you are all doing well! I cannot believe we are at 3.7k reads! Every morning I wake up and more of you are here! Thank you!!!! Also, the next chapter will definitely be much longer :). I hope you all have had an amazing week! <3

I had been in the library for a couple of hours. I was studying for DADA reading on the rise and fall of Voldemort. I was reading a chapter about Dark Marks, we had an essay that required 35 cm of parchment.

"The Dark Mark is the symbol of Voldemort and His followers. It refers both to an induced brand that every Death Eater bears on his or her inner left forearm"

I finished my conclusion when I looked at the time, low and behold I had stayed past curfew. I quickly cleaned up after myself, putting my books in my bag I ran out of the library. It wasn't uncommon for me to go past curfew but I was trying to be on a good behavior streak.

I looked left and right down the hall and when I saw no one I began walking to my common room. I tried to walk quickly to not run into anyone but my luck is awful and I ended up being caught by the Slytherin prefect.

"Y/N...you're past curfew, I'll have to report this." A voice said in front of me, I knew who it was and stared down. I saw the shiny black of his shoes along with clearly very expensive dress pants.

"I was studying, take away as many points as you like, now I'm going back to my common room," I said moving past him as I walked quicker towards my common room.

"Y/N wait can't we" he began before I turned around, facing the unnaturally blonde man in front of me. Wearing a suit that fit his emotions but not his personality, marks on his palms from clenching his fists whose knuckles were covered in bruises, each in different stages of healing. Eyes were clouded in fear and hurt and the normally pale man had somehow become paler almost as he was a ghost, I squinted my eyes as the prefect badge shown brightly in my eyes. Taking a deep breath before slowly speaking so he could fully grasp what I was about to say

"No, we can't Malfoy. Merlin's sake it's been four months since we last even talked and that was just fighting, and two weeks since I even thought of you. Let me go Malfoy...just as I have for you" I kept my voice calm and collected, and even though I thought it was impossible his eyes filled with more hurt. For the first time in the last two years, I no longer cared, not for the longing glances, the disappearances from class, or even the fact that every time I looked at him that same pain clouded the eyes of the man I once loved.

He'd never know how I was affected by all this but he didn't care. All he cared for was his happiness and how he could somehow manipulate me into loving him again. As I walked away it felt like I was leaving everything about him with me.

-----------------------------

It was now November 19th, six days since I talked to him, I was doing really good. I had earned twenty points total just in six days, the same amount I had lost in that potions class in the fifth year.

I got up early in the morning and immediately went to take a shower, feeling the hot water just slightly sting my skin for about thirty minutes before getting out and dressing. I tightened my tie and headed for breakfast.

Seeing Luna I waved at her before sitting by her. She piled food on my plate as she usually did and began talking to me, I listened to her while eating. "Luna, we've been friends for five years now and I've never been invited to hang out with your animal friends. I know you have lots and I am very offended ma'am."

Luna rolled her eyes and stole a piece of food from my plate, taking a bite before speaking "Well I am free today unless you want to keep using that excuse of me not hanging out with you to guilt me?"

"Luna, you are too good at reading people and yes I will" I grabbed another piece of the food she had taken from the golden plates and ate it. I talked about herbology and the new plant we were learning, I had been tutoring Luna and she was getting better, way better.

"Y/N it's breakfast, can't we just eat, I don't want to hear about herbology" She groaned

"You are the worst! Have fun failing Luna" I said glaring at her sarcastically

"Every day I can not decide if I love you or hate you Y/N"

--------------------------

Potions Class

"Well done miss L/N! Five points to Ravenclaw!" Slughorn smiled as I put the potion in a vial and put it on his desk, I went back to my seat and opened my book, reading what was planned for the next chapter, shaking off the feeling of someone's eyes on me

Charms

Finally arriving at my favorite and final class of the day, I sat down and reviewed what we were learning. Charms this year was supposed to be specifically difficult, and it held up to that promise. I spent three hours studying for the exam only to not get the spell right.

Forest with Luna

"SO, where are we heading first?" I asked as we walked through the courtyard and to the forest.

"We are going to feed Nargles, I brought the food with me," SHe said while pulling a bag out of her satchel and handing it to me. I looked inside to see a bunch of scraps from last night's dinner, I closed the bag and walked with her into the forest.

Inside the forest, there were many animals, Nifflers sat on rocks eating small foods above them dircraws sat on branches eating plants. I threw a small coin to the Niffler, suddenly stopping as Luna looked around and smiled. She pulled another bag out of her satchel and started feeding...nothing it seemed.

I assumed she saw something so I just threw food on the ground, listening to her gush over the animals. I smiled at her, just her presence made my heart calm, I truly didn't realize how much I loved her and how good she is to me.

For someone who had been my friend for years I truly never noticed just how great she is. She had a heart and cared more for others than anyone else. I don't think there is anyone who will be like her...maybe I should've appreciated her more.

Something they don't tell you with time, some people will be able to adjust and change with it while others just stay as they were with every minute until those minutes turn to years and then everyone is ahead of them, leaving them behind.

I hope every day that Luna stays as the first person, or that I don't end up being the second one and losing her.

Word Count: 1200