Everything Has Changed

October 31st, 1997

Draco's POV

I was never a fan of Halloween, I thought it was just an excuse to dress like a prat. That was the case until I didn't until I started dating her. 

Since I had known her she'd been excited for Halloween, and when we were young she'd even dress in costumes muggles would make, but then her parents stopped her.

She and I grew accustomed to our parents preventing us from doing what we loved, they've done it all of our lives. 

/////

10 years before

"Stand up proper Draco," My father said, pushing his cane against my back, I winced slightly and fixed my posture as the L/N family walked in. I smiled softly as Y/N walked in, she gave me a small excited wave. 

She had clearly been crying, but she didn't show it. Our parents went into the living room while she and I went upstairs. 

We sat on the floor, I noticed her sniffling and finally decided to ask what was wrong.

"I dressed for Halloween this year...it was great, you should've seen it." She said quietly "It's something muggles do, a nice girl told me all about it...when I snuck out to walk around."

I scoffed at the mention of muggles, she looked up at me with a dirty glare "They're not as bad as you think, she was quite lovely." I scanned her face, looking for any inkling that she was joking, she wasn't.

"That's why your parents are mad at you? You were talking to mudbloods? No wonder, your family has a name to uphold..." I said it was harsh but true, as purebloods we had unspoken rules we have to follow. 

She rolled her eyes and mumbled something, I hated when she did that. She didn't like any sort of conflict so she mumbled a lot. "Pardon?" I said.

"I said, what if I don't care about that. I'm a kid, and you are too, sometimes I think you forget that." She looked down, I was mad but in hindsight, she was right. I was too proud to admit that though

"I didn't forget, I just know not to disappoint my family...maybe you need to learn that," I said, she got up and left, slamming the door behind her.

That memory always comes back every year, and it never gets better 

/////

I walked down the hall to my dark arts class, blocking out everyone around me "Morning Draco" Her voice called from behind me, I turned around quickly, my heart still fluttered whenever I saw her.

"Good morning love!"I pulled her into a hug, kissing the top of her head, she hugged me back before sitting down on the bench near us. 

We talked for just a little, she refused to be late, but she never brought up Halloween. I usually would pass this off as just her being distracted but it felt like something more. I didn't see her as much anymore, she was always off with Luna and Neville, what they were doing, I don't know.

I wanted to ask her but she already said she had to leave, and before I could process anything she was gone. 

I wish I could see into her mind. 

Y/N POV

Today wasn't easy, Halloween always had a special place in my heart, but now it felt just useless. I forgot all about it until Professor Flitwick brought it up to me privately. I wonder if that was why Draco was staring at me the way he did, I was usually so annoying about it.

He cared, I know he did. It's the little things, and yet another one was gone. Alas, we had each other, and that was at least going well. 

Nothing was the same though, and I had other things to focus on, not dumb muggle holidays. 

-----------------

I left Luna and Neville to leave while I cleaned up the room of requirement, I needed that moment alone. Time went by as broken items, papers, ink was all cleaned up. When I finally finished, it was eleven o'clock, I was out past curfew.

I wasn't afraid, for I had nothing to be afraid of, beside Snape. He hadn't been awful that year but I still wanted to steer clear of him, I wasn't in the mood to have someone assess my whole life. 

I yawned and left the room, I hadn't even heard the footsteps behind me until the voice belonging to them spoke. I jumped as their drawling voice snapped me out of my drowsiness. 

"Miss L/N, you should be in bed, there are strict rules, even for you." I sighed and turned on my heel to face him, he towered over me.

"Sir, you and I both know that nothing will come from this. Unless you want to mess up my mental health, what else can you do to me that my parents will not come for you?" I said, trying to raise myself his height and failing.

"The person who told me to talk to you would've said the same thing, funny how that happens. Now, to my office, I refuse to take disrespect from someone of your liking." He dramatically began walking to his office, and I followed, muttering a small "For fucks sake" b3hind him.

I sat down across him when we finally got to his office, tapping my fingers, annoyed, against the desk as I waited for him. He sat down and laced his fingers "I'm supposed to keep watch over you Y/N-"

I scoffed "From who? My parents"

He shook his head "No actually, the Malfoys, specifically Draco and Narcissa. You aren't making it easy, how is it that the man, you never take your eyes off of, can't seem to keep track of you when he has for five years? What are you up to Y/N, I will find out either way."

I smiled "No, you won't." I leaned forward "See, I got tired of my memories getting invaded, so Draco helped me. So if there's anything truth to what you said, I'm sure he would prefer if you just asked"

Snape snarled "I don't have to obey them, I could just let you suffer"

 "Then do it. Thank you for protecting Draco and me, but I'm seventeen, I don't need your protection. If that's all, may I leave? I'm terribly tired and this is making me mentally exhausted" He shooed me away, clearly pissed off, I smiled sweetly and left the room. 

I walked back to my room, I knew Luna was with Neville so I was startled by the person on my bed, I walked closer and realized it was Draco.

I tilted my head and looked at him concerned, he just stared at me, I could tell he was upset. I sat next to him, and put my hand on his thigh softly. "What's going on Draco?"

He just shook his head, "I can't believe you would hide it from me." He said quietly, his foot tapped angrily against the wood.

I hid a lot of things from people so pinpointing exactly what he was on about was hard, there were so many things. He could also be making it all up, and I was so busy with these thoughts I didn't realize he had been looking at me.

"What are you talking about Draco," I said quietly, looking around, I noticed papers spread out on luna's bed, but he couldn't know...he couldn't.

He laughed, but not the one I loved "You seriously didn't think I would figure it out Y/N?"

Word Count: 1270