Chapter Twenty-Nine

ROSE POV

Sleep didn't come easy, as my heart ache was particularly rearing after that small gesture

in the hallway.

Why did he do that? Why did he say that? Why did I miss him too?

My eyes became heavier, and I was immediately whisked into a dream, which I would later figure out was actually a nightmare.

---

"We are running late, Rose. Do you think you could walk any fucking slower?" A man's voice snapped at the woman he was dragging behind him by her wrist.

I stood as an outsider to this situation, so I immediately recognized myself.

Where were we? What was this? Who was the dickhead pulling me along?

We approached a stone building with intricate architecture, and I immediately recognized it as the Whitlock Theater, a place where many an elite wizarding family flocked to see all of the finest shows and drink all of the finest wines. I had been there many times with my mother and father, along with other wizarding families.

Why was I here?

I watched myself, dream me, keep her head down as they approached the large front doors of the theater.

"Names?" An elegantly dress woman sitting at a receptionist style desk asked.

"Theodore Nott." The man said in a stern voice.

What the fuck was I doing with him? Why were we here? Why was he dragging me around like I was some kind of rag doll?

"And her?" the woman's eyes narrowed at me. I was waiting for dream me to say something, but Theo answered for me, "My wife, who the fuck else would it be?"

Excuse me? Did he just say—

"My apologies, Mr. Nott. Wives usually aren't brought to auction proceedings." The woman stammered in response to Theo's aggressive tone.

I wanted to walk up to him and slap him across his fucking face. Why was I not fighting back? How in the fuck was I married to him? Was this real?

What the fuck is the auction?

"Auctioning begins in 5 minutes. I assume you know the way about things in the theater?" the woman handed Theo a folder, which he immediately tucked under his arm.

"How many are in attendance tonight?" he completely ignored her question.

"There are around 50 other bidders tonight. A new lot of traitors was just rounded up last week and—" the woman went on, folding her hands on her desk.

"Yeah, I know that. Why do you think I'm here?" he snapped at her rudely.

Why was I not saying anything? My head was still down and my eyes weren't reacting to any of this.

The real me tried to say something, but the words I could get out were those in my head. No matter how much I moved my mouth or waved my arms around like an idiot, dream Rose couldn't see me. I was invisible.

Theo yanked dream me inside, mumbling something that I couldn't quite make out from far away.

"Can you please try to be conversational this evening, Rose? You look miserable." He grumbled, finally letting go of my wrist and adjusting the black tie he wore around his neck.