Chapter Thirty-Eight

ROSE POV

I had another dream.

Another dream as clear and real as the first.

Another vision.

I watched everything play out as a third party again.

This time, I was outside, pushing a baby carriage, also visibly pregnant.

I didn't look nearly as tired as I did in the past visions, but I looked just as equally sad. Empty. Worried. Broken.

The baby carriage was covered from the shining sun above, and the leaves crunched under my feet. It must have been fall.

I didn't recognize the park, but my vison self did.

Her eyes darted around nervously, like she was afraid someone was going to catch her just...casually taking a stroll with her baby.

The dress I had on was ghastly. Very Little House on the Prairie, but a little bit more expensive. It was so long, my ankles weren't even showing, and my hair was stick straight, lying lifeless on my cheeks like a visual representation of her internal mental state.

I walked next to her, wanting badly to give her a hug for some reason. She—I— looked like a hug would cause her—me—to burst into tears.

She approached a set of benches where an older woman sat with her back to us, alone.

Immediately I recognized the hair of the woman who sat there, and I knew she must have been waiting for us.

Narcissa.

Vision me picked up the pace once the benches came into sight, and she saw that who she was meeting, truly did arrive.

"Narcissa..." the voice of me in this vision was timid, and sounded like it was teetering on the edge of cracking.

"Hello, dear." Narcissa's face was restrained, her posture stiff, and she had a hard time looking up to face her—me.

She—I—sat next to Narcissa slowly, pulling the carriage she was pushing to the right of the bench.

"I must say—I'm surprised your...husband allowed you to have such freedoms as to enjoy the parks alone." Narcissa looked down at her hands in her lap.

"I bring her to the park every Monday. So, he doesn't have any suspicion as to why I'm here today." Rose took a deep breath.

"I was surprised when I received your owl that you wanted to...meet with me." Narcissa stated coolly.

"I'm surprised you accepted. Relieved, actually. I didn't think you would show." Rose's relief was evident in how her pace quickened at the sight of her waiting on the bench.

There was a small pause, and the only sounds in the air were that of rustling leaves and children playing distantly.

"How have you been?" Narcissa glanced over for a moment, but only for a moment.

Her—my—face fell slightly, like the question itself would make her crumble. I doubt anyone actually asked her questions like that anymore.

"I miss him." Rose whispered, closing her eyes for a moment to try and gain composure. "Everyday."

Narcissa did the same.