Chapter Forty-One

ROSE POV

"Are you almost ready, Rose?" Pansy knocked gently at my door.

I let her in, and Daphne and Millicent quickly followed. "Few more minutes."

Quickly, I grabbed what I needed from my dresser, along with my dress for dinner from the cupboard, and entered the bathroom to change.

"Millicent, that necklace really is gorgeous. How much do you think he spent on it?" I heard Daphne asked from the other side of the door.

In front of me on the counter sat what I told Draco I had "planned" for later.

He was a sucker for black lace, so this was surely going to send him into some sort of frenzy.

I smiled at the thought as I fixed the garters on my thighs, and adjusted the lace of the bra, running my fingertips over the small ribbon bow that sat between my breasts.

Like I said. There was a bow. Just not one he would see without shedding some clothing.

I wore a simple slip dress in a deep green color with a cowl neck line and thin straps that perfectly hid the lingerie underneath.

No one would ever know.

Well...no one but Draco.

I smoothed out my hair, sprayed on a couple spritzes of perfume, and walked back out into my bedroom.

"So, is this like a dinner or?" I asked, slipping my shoes on.

"It's like a party...just a small one. Like a cocktail party." Millicent explained, smoothing out her dress.

"Yeah, Narcissa said a couple of out of town friends are coming and it's just going to be small but...knowing her, I'm sure it's going to be wonderfully elegant and the least bit lowkey." Pansy laughed with us softly.

There were a lot more than a few people in the west wing ballroom when we arrived, but it was nothing compared to the crowd at the wedding, so I guess this could be considered lowkey.

"Ah...Ms. Eros! Happy Christmas!" a man's voice immediately boomed as I plucked a glass of champagne from a tray that floated around the room.

My eyes fell on Arius Montague, his wife, Daniella, and Graham.

"Happy Christmas." I plastered on a fake smile as I realized that I had now been roped into a conversation that I didn't want to be in with people I didn't want to talk to.

"Long time no see, Eros." Graham's eyes flitted up and down, and all I could think about was how he could be so openly crude with his mother standing right next to him.

My reply was a soft smile as I turned back to his mother and father, "How has your holiday been so far?"

"Oh, quite wonderful, dear. Although I am missing Christmas in France this year," Daniella tossed her hair over her shoulder with a satin gloved hand, tacky, "We have had a lovely time in London."

"Ah, yes, London is really beautiful during the holidays. A few friends and I went just the other day to shop and it was wonderful, really. I'm surprised the muggles are able to get lights strung up so high without a swish and a flick, you know?" I took a long sip of my bubbly drink as Arius chuckled boastfully.

"According to the papers, Eros, it seems the Christmas lights weren't what had your attention in London, now did they?" Graham raised his eyebrows as he took a sip from his own glass.