Chapter Sixty-Seven

DRACO POV

I felt like a kid on Christmas. It was weird feeling this kind of excitement. It could only be described as giddy, and I think this may have been the first time I had even been giddy in my life.

The responsibility of having a child immediately hit me like a truck. Like some human instinct kicked in as soon as his cried hit the air, and suddenly I was dropped right into fatherhood.

Rose was right.

But to be completely honest, she was most of the time. I could never admit that out loud though.

I had a son.

We had a son.

Holy fuck.

It was hard to wrap my head around. Like my brain wouldn't allow for such information to register as truth in my head, until my eyes fell on him for the first time, and I was effectively wrapped around this wailing infant's little finger.

I was afraid that moment all of those parents talked about in those parenting books that I read wasn't going to happen to me, due to my own experiences with bad parents, and that I was going to fail immediately.

I was wrong.

Oh so wrong.

I saw the glint of a head of blonde hair under the lights of the surgical room as they severed his tie to Rose, officially freeing him of his life in utero, and I felt my heart swell in my chest.

The heart that once sat in its icy cage, refusing to let a warm breeze melt it's exterior, was now flourishing with love that I didn't even know was possible.

Seeing him for the first time rendered me speechless. I had to blink a few times to make sure that this wasn't all a dream. A dream so beautiful and happy that to wake up from it would be the most dreadful of my days.

I didn't see how any day moving forward could be dreadful after experiencing this type of happiness.

I felt saved.

Rose and I saved each other, and now he saved us.

"8 pounds, 14 ounces...21 inches long." One of the healers stated as they recorded his weight and wiped off his eyes.

"Congratulations! He's darling." The healer smiled, wrapping him in a few blankets and walking towards Rose and I.

"Thank you." I managed to breath out, my eyes staring at the blanketed bundle like I had never seen a baby before.

Seeing Rose crying from happiness rather than grief was something I don't think I would ever get tired of. Seeing her face light up as soon as he was laid on her chest was something I wish I could replay on the back of my eyelids, so that every time I closed my eyes, I would see the happiest memory I had ever experienced.

"We literally made him." Rose looked at me with a mix of awe and happiness.

I smiled wide and nodded, stroking the top of her hair while we both stared at the now quieter baby that was now ours.

Rose rubbed his cheek with one finger as I held him secure to her chest so that she could see his face.

"I didn't think it was possible for me to love you more, Draco, but this might have just done it." Rose smiled in awe; her eyes still fixated on the cooing baby.