Ch.8 - Third Times The Charm

Hey guys umm yeah, enjoy.
____________________________________

Can't believe that her one very important map is coffee stained.

She was pretty sure she had been on the right track. Two lefts, then a right down the large thin hall, up those stairs and to the left yet again. Except it wasn't there.

Peeking inside to see a band room. Certainly not the right class. She let out a frustrated groan of irritation as she went back out into the hall.

Again... Seriously?

She'd had e-freaking-nough of this getting lost business.

She was nervous again, chewing at the inside of her mouth and pulling at her sleeves. A small part of her hoping, pleading that her mom would pop around some corner and save her, but as time went on and the halls thinned of busy students, she was starting to lose faith. Fast and rapidly.

Her heart pounding, palms sweaty and clenched.

Rounding corner after corner, turn after turn, again and again.

She was totally gonna miss this class. There was no way she could un-lost herself from this far down the rabbit hole. She is so done. She's gonna get kicked out, or detention--is that a university thing? Never the less, she was so in for it.

She checked her sheet again, the one that wasn't f*cked, wetter than a thirsty gerbil rabidly going after its little dish pond for a drip of H2O.

The paper read: Mr.Downey. Room 130B.

Oh god she just wanted a break. And to go home. Like home home. Not here. She hated it here, nothing good had happened to her in this crumby rainy--

"Lost again Miss Joseph?"

She froze in her place, like a weird deer or something, turning to the smooth voice that had called her.

He sauntered over, hands in his pockets just like he had before. Grinning at her, secretly, probably, knowing she was a complete wreck on the loose. Again. "Might wanna break that habit before it bites you."

The tension settled into her body, still a bit jittery, as he came to stand beside her, nudging her along with his shoulder. She huffed, relieved to see Mr.Downey. "I've been told that I'm directionally dysfunctional."

"We do have maps."

She held up the brown paper, once resembling just that. A map.

"Generally we drink the coffee." He smirked, before pulling her along. "Come on or else we'll both be late."

She laughed, more anxiety leaching from her, looking up to him with a small smile. "Was I sorta heading in the right direction?"

"Sorta. Sure."

Walking beside him, side by side, it felt, well, natural? Is that a thing? Watching him out of the corner of her eye, the way his hips swayed, he swaggered, running a hand through his thick short hair, watching as it bounced back into it's original positioning. Light on his feet, but still, he carried this unusual nervousness, sorta like her own, looking around corners before stepping out from them, subtle not dramatic. Only occasionally doing it, unlike herself. But he had something, something about him she just couldn't quite figure out.

He was different. His energy, was different. He was kind to her in a time that no one else had been. Not that he'd done a lot. Just smiled, hadn't bull shitted her. A small simple act of kindness. Not that she'd exactly put her best foot forward seeking for any sort of comfort. She'd barely opened up to her parents about anything other than the fact she was sad about having moved.