Ch.13 - Coffee For The Cold Hearted

Hey there. So yay RDJ reached 4 million tweeps on twitter! Crazy.

I hope you enjoy this update! Next one to come Monday! :)

__________________________________________________

"When one door closes, another one shall open. An opportunity falls, another one shall rise. Climb the hill to conquer the mountain. Fall and fail to triumph and succeed.

They're inspiring words and each weighs belief to his or her own self. It's both general enough for most people to relate to, or at least a group, but quotes always seem to needle through that middle ground life trait we can all share.

There are two kinds of writers. Those who can attract an audience who are bound together through that shared string, or those who write to give voice to the unseen, bringing new light and new thought to a darkened subject. Be it journalism, story, script, poetry, or art.

Can we be real about those quotes though? It's not quite just that simple, is it? Our job is to convince people that those few words can enlighten a change in their behaviour, stick with them, remind the reader you have to lose some battles before you win them. Take, for example, becoming a writer of any kind. Before you get your craft right, you're going to be spending a lot of time thinking you've reached the next level, the ultimate level, only to fall short in comparison to what's already on the market. Can't defeat and conquer the writing foes of the world? Play with them instead. Create a story so riveting that you have your idols bashing your name into the stone of their mind.

Act like you're a winner, till that confidence carries you there.

This also applies to life or for us it is our through line to those who don't see the world in words, dialogue, and plot. Life.

The tall tale quote of fake it till you make it is probably the best piece of advice someone can give you. Just think of it this way, if you haven't made room for yourself yet, how can you make space for anyone else? Claim your spot. Fuck plan B, go after your destiny. If you don't believe in yourself, why should anyone else?"

"You wrote all this down?" Mr.Downey said, riffling through her notebook.

"Well...yeah. It makes sense." She shrugs, her hands curling around the hot paper Starbucks cup, sighing after she takes another sip. So good. Always hitting the right spot. She hadn't had good coffee in what felt like years.

They sit in the lounge, his jacket swung over the back of his chair, bag by his feet as Charlotte had out her backpack on the back of her seat, criteria paper on the small round table between them. Mr.Downey wasn't looking nervous, actually relaxed, not peering down the halls, just comfortable.

"It's weird, seeing what you say out loud in written words." He looks up at her serious. "I don't sound pretentious, do I?"

"I don't think so."

They set the notebook aside, taking comfort in their drinks.

Mr.Downey shifts, clearly in thought as he licks his lips. "Uh, has that, Dave, has he been bothering you a while?"

She shakes her head, nervously for some reason. "No, no. It's fine. I don't care."

"I hope I wasn't over stepping."

"Oh gosh no. Sorry. I um I really appreciate what you did actually."

"You don't have to read their apologies. You don't owe them anything."

"Yeah, I guess I'll see." She bites at her lips, mostly speaking to herself than anything. "Probably should have moved seats."

He sits up a little straighter, an open palmed gesture in thought. "Why don't you sit up front?"