Ch.17 - Pained Together

Oh my gosh the amount of footage and pics we got of RDJ and Age Of Ultron yesterday makes me feels spectacularly spoiled. May 1st is so freaking close it's bizarre. Almost three whole years of waiting. Phwew.

Anyways. Enjoy this chap!
____________________________________________

The end to another long week has come, leaving her bent over Mr.Downey's book, reading away. Her eyes actually stinging like singing bitches, she's so tired. It would be so easy to just fall asleep. She almost had at break today... thankfully not during actually educational class time. Izzie and George had been quiet, studying for tests, occasionally Izzie would ask Charlotte about a random word, what it meant and how to spell it, and George would ask if she was alright. It was almost eerie how easy it had been to come relaxed with them. Maybe sitting with strangers for a week with nothing to do but get to know each other does that. Any ways, her trust issues were slowly disappearing and she didn't even think of Him last night, or have her normal nightmares (although she had something of the sort but it wasn't the repeated).

Mr.Downey had looked a bit unkept today--tired as well, and then disappeared for break. He'd come back a few minutes before the start of class with the book she leant him though. Reading a few pages before the bell. Then gruff during his lecture. His demeanour edgier than she had previously seen him. Maybe he was just tired.

Besides, everyone always seemed either ecstatic on Fridays, or exhausted. There seemed to be no in between. Like right now, she was seated on the couch in her moms office, like usual, awaiting for her mom to finish up her day so they could go home a fresh three hours after Charlottes day had already ended.

Her mom was furiously typing away on her computer, looking from sheet to sheet in search. How easy it would be to just close her eyes, just for ten minutes, but she wasn't safe. Even though most of her was begging to relax and just...sleep. But no--wake up Charlotte. Read the words in front of her, no reread that sentence, what did this page even say? She can't remember. She's exhausted. She can't let go and just nod off though, she needed to stay alert. She needed to stay safe and that meant keeping awake. Every time she did nod off it was straight to the bad dreams. She got enough of those, so she sat up a little straighter, shaking her head.

Not tired, nope. Super energetic, totally could go for a quick marathon right now. Easy peasy.

Hours went by like this, just fighting time, so when the white flag rose and they could finally leave, she let out the longest, deepest sigh one could imagine. She was quickly starting to tire of this part of her new routine. This waiting for hours and hours on end. But she had no choice and she certainly wasn't going to complain (out loud) about it. She did enough of that already.

"Charlotte?"

Her glazed eyes snapping wide open, exhaling a sharp intake of air, flinching at the voice in front of her, pushing away from it, the soft eyes of... her mom.

Then taking in her surroundings, and thankfully not going through the whole where was she routine. Everything coming flooding back into her memory including those big eyes.

"Charlotte?" Gentler.

She rolls her head back over to where her mom is leaning down looking tired herself.

"We can go now. I'm done."

Her body slumps with that relief, yawning and stretching her limbs, with a small nod of understanding.

"I just have a few more things to grab for the weekend. How about I meet you by the truck?"

Another nod of agreement, sitting up from her slouched state, a loud crack of her hip as she stood up. Surprised by the twang of pain that stretched through her leg muscles. She couldn't pay it much attention though, she was just glad to be going back to the house.