Ch.28 - Only Human

So my good day stayed good thanks to you guys. This chapter is dedicated to all of you because I love you and all those comments got me pushing through my writers block :)

A special shoutout to the birthday girl Kenz ! Name buddies haha Hope your bday today has been as awesome, hilarious, and witty as you are!

Enjoy this chapter guys :)

_______________________________________

It wasn't easy, but they had got it done.

Charlotte had remained leaning against the wall, Roberts sleek phone pressed to her ear and she watched him. Distracted by the structure of his features. So... boyish, almost. Young but aged. The perfect combination of strong bone structure and soft curves. His lips especially kept grabbing her attention. the curve, the way he keeps licking at them, and cursing because of the fresh open cut that had finally stopped bleeding. He's sat on the ground, back to the white tile wall, and looking like he's having a serious battle with whatever thoughts are clustering his slightly boozy brain. He's toying at the sticker on his empty beer bottle, peeling it back slowly, unconscious he's doing so as his eyes drift around the small space. Those warm, emotional, brown eyes land on her and Charlotte has to look away, hiding her red cheeks, because she's been caught being a creep.

CJ's voice on the other end of the line was both drenched in worry, and relief, and not moments later her friend is peeking into the washroom door, the stress draining from her face as her sight rests on Charlotte. "Hey. I was so--" Then it's those steely blue eyes finding that Charlotte is not alone, filling with confusion as she took in the drunk man with bloodshot eyes before her. "Explains the random phone."

Charlotte bit at her lip and after a few hushed words between the two girls, they had devised an easy plan. CJ suggested bringing him up to their seats but Robert politely just kept mumbling he needed to leave, seemingly increasingly nervous with the new face, no longer comfortable to hide away in this place. As much as Charlotte wants to reach out for him, support some of his swinging weight because not only is he tipsy, he's also just gotten out of a brawl. She wants to bring the hair back from his face, wants to grab some paper towel and dab at his cuts and freshen him up but he's to focused and to anxious to get out. He manages his way from the space, cutting through the crowds much like Charlotte did, avoiding touch and eye contact, head bowed to the ground as he tries his best to not stumble.

"He looks like he's in pain." CJ notes worriedly, gesturing to the way Robert's holding his side.

"Yeah. He, uhm, that's why I was trying to get us to help him. Some guys just-just... Yeah."

"No need to explain." Her friends voice soft, understanding. "So do you know him, or do you just like picking up strays?" CJ whispers even though the sound of the arenas buzz easily covers their voices, half joking to lighten the mood, half serious as they stride behind the man, carefully watching him, determined he could walk on his own.

Charlotte rubs at the back of her neck tiredly. Not sure if he'd want want Charlotte to say who he is or not. But it's her friend. Her trustworthy friend who has no connection to him but through Charlotte. "He's, he's my professor at MGU."

CJ's eyes widen, "This is Mr.Downey?" Then trying to quickly collect herself. Straightening her stance with eyes wandering to the guy hobbling in front of them.

She nods, lips pressing into a thin line. She's mentioned him a handful of times (maybe more), no great detail besides she's really enjoying his class, nothing about her doomed crush. "Yeah, this is him." Still half gazing around with her own issues with touch, sight, and sound, but not many people seem to notice, thankfully. The crowds have downsized as intermission draws to a close, making it much easier to move around, to keep her wits about her. And it seems that as they get closer to the exit Robert is loosening too.