Final Chapter - Say Love

Okay guys. This is it. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE leave a comment and tell me what you think.

EPILOGUE coming soon!
________________________________________________

When he gets into bed again, its clear his aura has shifted. His mind has shifted, same as the night has shifted to day.

He doesn't care if she wakes, she can tell by his jostled movements pulling her sleep-ridden form into his arms. The way he presses wantonly into the curves and crevices of her creamy skin and breathes. The way he tastes her skin, nudges his nose into her hair and aches.

She can feel his pain intertwining with hers before she manages to make a single move, bat a single lash, or say a single word. It's not hard to recognize a goodbye when you've said as many as Charlotte has.

When she pulls further into wake, it's to heartbreak and misery. The sun hangs prominently in the blue bird sky and proudly waits outside Charlottes open window. Greets her heavy lids with it's shimmering light glimmering proudly off the ajar frame. The yellow beams of shine striking lines across her features, caught in her eyes as she takes in the life just beyond her fingertips. A terriers chittering yapping, a lawn mower grazing down blades of unkept grass, and the creak of floorboards creaking as her housemates trot from left foot to right, brewing with purpose, with intention and will power.

The sheets pull along her hips, tightening. A strap of an arm curled around her abdomen and Robert's achingly silent, though stilted, breathing pulls her further from her reverie like state. He's close, nose rubbing into the sensitive skin just behind her ear. Her bent body lax in his grip by habit and home. Biting fiercely down on the comfort he provides, how unique every individual humans embrace is--how unique Robert's is. Always intimate, always asking, always caring and always warm.

There is no flipping of paper pages to fill the room, or static changing channel's of their out of date television. There's steam dancing into nothingness towards the ceiling, it's source, a plate of eggs accompanied by the smell of fresh pressed coffee. It should belong to the exhale tickling along her neck, that smells only of mint and toothpaste. Ready to leave. Pristine and clean shaven and turning over in Robert's grasp she finds him fully dressed with round eyes and a worn out smile barely curling the ends of his lips.

There's no good morning, there's no how was your sleep; only few words, dipped and boiled in the pang of heartache and reluctant goodbyes. "Beautiful day out there." Though it's a shared sentiment that it is not the same in here.

She doesn't reply. She doesn't feel like putting on a smile right now. Everything hurts and the nights brief blanket of wishes seems to be lifted.

No more distractions, no more time ticking, no more.

She studies him with a sharp pencil, tracing his dark eyes, highlighting his cheekbones, painting his pouty lips, messily sketching the waves of his hair. The contours of his chest, like discovering it all again for the first time she sculpts with an open palm, smooths over broad shoulders and lithe arms. Enamoured with the winding veins like mapping conjoining streams and salty water and the embrace of it's steady swimming on a warm summers day where flowers wilt against the pounding heat and dogs lay panting in the brush bush.

She feels sad. She feels empty.

He kisses her, softly, taking her face in his hands, sweetening her mouth, parting her lips, tingling her taste. It's slow, it's decisive and calculated in a way that has her believing that he's taking her measurements, feeling her textures, and jotting down all the notes he can before the answers are ripped away.

Accepting that she doesn't want it to be like this. Doesn't want to forget the rumble of his voice in her ear, see the grin on his succulent lips, remember the care in his caress. She doesn't want to forget what it feels like to be wanted, to be held, to be warm.