Ch.47 - Don't Say It's True

IMPORTANT PLEASE READ.

After this story is done I'll be writing that Stony story that I've been forever slowly figuring out, and also another RDJ story I'm super excited about. The RDJ one probably more frequently. That doesn't mean this won't get a sequel, I just have to see your guys' opinion if you want another when we do get to the end. The other two stories I'm planning might get pushed if you guys do want a sequel but we shall see in time I guess :)

Anyways. This is a long ass chapter. I filled it in a ton because I was down that this book will be ending sooner rather than like MMM that took two years.

Enjoy this long read! Next update will be Monday!

____________________________________________

The tip of the proverbial iceberg had been the coughing, the wheezing, a constant heat that had him always with open windows and sometimes an overwhelming wave of exhaustion. The always healthy meals, the cut physic where he's fallen into habit of keeping care of his body. The things Lacey had said. The subtle ins and outs of doctors appointments and such. It just, it makes a lot of sense. Sense she hates to understand. To connect the dots.

Teeth biting harshly at her lip, suppressing its stupid tremble, the little thing that will start a tear in her barely built facade. Her fingers in tangled knots on her lap, wringing in a hope to distract from the gut wrenching pain constricting across the tendons of her feeble heart.

Blue orbs intense, waiting and flicking between his features, holding her breath out of anguish because... because she already knows the answer.

It's all warmth, soft eyes, and a small tug of his lips. Nodding. "Cancer. I'm told theres a high chance it'll come back, for now though, it's stagnate--has been for a second or two. So its, yeah. It hasn't grown or spread for just under a year now. But it-it will most likely come back."

Air is vacant from her lungs. Absent in the fogged space, leaving her stale and aching. That deep ache thats burrowing into her sternum, the knowledge, his words, nestling between everything inside her. All the good, like her colourful world is turning grey as she lets out a huff in protest, eyes shimmering, ready to let tears spill over. But she won't, she won't let it.

There's a disturbed crease lining between his brows, oval eyes looking at her like he's wounded her. "I'm sorry." Scratching distractedly at the back of his head, a solemn expression on his features. "I know I should of told you earlier but generally people haven't stuck around long enough for them to really have to know. You know?"

She shakily nods, hand gripping at the armrest of the couch, as if that's going to support her further. "You said sort of. You said you were sort of fine? Are you... I mean."

"Charlie," all soft and soothing smoothing his tone as he comes to sit on the couch with her. "It's okay. I'm okay."

Her shoulders let go, going slack and her mouths agape in thought. Rerunning it all over and over again in her head. How it just doesn't make sense. Just, he's healthy? He looks healthy and again, it doesn't make sense. He's okay, stagnant, but it will come back. Come back and-and what?

Skimming fingers curve over her back, down the notches of her spine, pulling her loosely into his side. She slumps into his embrace, his body--the warmth she suddenly so desperately clings after. Can't lose. She can't--she can't lose it. But he said he's fine. Sort of. She can't make sense of it all--nothing, she's just, she doesn't. It's something cousin to shock rolling in her gut, and for the second day in a row, she wants to cry. Wants to stop chewing at her lip and feeling this pressure building inside of her.

"So you're sick, but you're not?" Keeping the tremble out of her throat, the lump cleared. Blinking back unshed tears.

"Yeah, its tricky and, I don't know," he huffs irritably, pressing his lips to the top of Charlottes head as he hums, contemplating. "Do you want me to lay it out?"