Ch.27 - Like Magnets

30 comments = new chapter (not by one person although I seriously adore when people do that)

___________________________________________

No other words on the matter as they make their way, grabbing CJ's hat. Going back out into the hall, white walls, and white floors with streaks of black, and tape and cords. People just as busy as they were before as she follows warily by her friends side. Glancing around, arms tight around her and suddenly she wishes she had put the jacket back on, kept her safe. She feels bare, vulnerable. Her simple Beatles tee with the cover art of the Sargent Pepper album on the back, wearing ripped black skinny jeans and her sneakers. Hair down reaching mid way to her back, naturally wavy as she walks along, arms tight across her chest, listening in on CJ's words.

"We could grab some nachos too, if you want? Not quite tacos, but almost. We'll ask for bunches of cheese too, I know how much you love your cheese. The venders all know me so it'll be easy."

"Sounds yummy." She knows she's being shy, she knows she should be talking more but she also knows that CJ knows her. Gets this isn't her usual, sees the difference between comfortable Charlotte and nervous Charlotte. Treating her just the same though, although watching over her carefully.

They take an elevator down and then they are fully immersed in the Beatle Mania. People of all kinds adorning the merchandise.

It feels like every hair on her head goes on end looking into the thick bodies all squishing past each other in rush. Pushing shoving, right at the heart of the chaos where everyone wants to share some fries and a beer with their buds. "Not as busy as I thought it would be." CJ hums, searching before stepping from the small space, peering at her again with a finger on her chin. "You sure you're okay?"

Furiously nodding, maybe a bit too enthusiastic and not enough assurance.

"Let me know, okay? Seriously."

Walking through the thick group of bustling bodies, she can tell CJ is trying to scout the best path, trying to skirt along the edges instead of easily pushing through the contact of others.

She could feel eyes on her, could once again imagine Brandon behind her, hands trailing her hips and yanking her back, ripping her shirt.

Just, keep her gaze forward, keep it on CJ's back. Ignore the rest, listen to her words.

Leaning away from stumbling drunk people, leaping from ghost grabs of her imagination, sweat immediate on her brow, rosying her cheeks.

CJ is pushing people, giving them space as they move, trying to be the barrier between them and her, but maybe this was too much, maybe she should have stayed behind. It would've been better that way, for CJ, she wouldn't have to deal with this.

Stupid Charlotte continuously putting people in this position, time and time again. Just selfish. Needs to grow up because it's all fine. She's fine, okay? She's fine. Fine, Charlotte. Stop, just stop it. Idiot. Pathetic bitch.

Passing the beer stand, she does a double take, heart stuttering in her throat, the face is similar but not Brandon.

Focusing on her breathing, CJ points out, jumping on her toes trying to see past the sea of heads, then having her ah-ha moment. "Nachos! Perfect. Knew Id seen some somewhere. It's all good, Charlotte. Almost there." And she almost takes her hand but recoils away from her stupid stuttering friend. Maybe she's ashamed (she knows CJ just doesn't want to scare her, she knows).

Then they are not at the edge of the crowd, they have to enter, because CJ is sweet and knows she loves Tacos and has searched out the closest thing to her comfort food.