The Break Up

4x4 ~ THE BREAK UP ~
•••••
Lexi was still a little oblivious to the reason Sara wanted to take her out for Breadstix one night. She simply assumed it was a nice outing, but Sara had other news.

"You know...these breadsticks aren't even from here." Lexi spoke up, as she dipped her breadstick in her soup. "They're flown in from some factory in the Dominican Republic, according to Quinn." She added, as Sara chuckled. "They aren't even fresh."

"I have a hard time believing that." Sara replied, as Lexi smiled. "Probably just some rumours." She shrugged.

"Maybe." Lexi nodded.

"How has school been? Have you decided on what schools you're applying for, or what career field you're pursuing?" Sara asked, as Lexi let out a deep breath - she didn't realize she was holding.

"Well..." Lexi began, as she thought about the late nights she'd spent studying, and applying. "School's been successful. I've risen to a 4.5 GPA." She said, and swore she saw her mom's proud smile. "After months of contemplation between a career in the arts or medical field, I've decided, and I'm going to go into..."

"Into what?" Sara asked with a slight smile.

"Neurosurgery." Lexi answered. "I'm going to work to become a neurosurgeon, and maybe one day become the head of neurosurgery somewhere."

"Oh honey that's amazing! You're going to be incredible." Sara smiled, as Lexi chuckled.

"Thank you mom. I've applied to NYU, Harvard Medical School, Yale University, and Columbia." She answered.

"It's pretty difficult, the career you're pursuing...the training process is pretty insane, are you sure about it?"

"Yes...and if I try it, and it's too demanding, I'll pace myself, and do something else in the field. My easiest option was going to be majoring in literacy studies, and minoring in philosophy." Lexi shrugged. "For now, I've applied, and that's my main goal."

"I'm so proud of you." Sara said, grabbing Lexi's hands in hers, and squeezing them comfortingly.

"Thank you so much." Lexi nodded gratefully. She was glad her mom was onboard. However, another question she'd be meaning to ask, popped into her head.

"Uh, mom, why are we at Breadstix? We almost never go out for dinner, so either you have good news or bad news." Lexi rambled, as Sara sighed.

"Honey..." Sara began, as Lexi sucked in a nervous breath. "I have some news to tell you."

"Good or bad?"

"I'm not going to specify, and rather come out with the answer now." Sara decided, as Lexi shook her head, looking at her mom expectantly. "On Monday a few days ago, I was diagnosed with cancer."

Lexi felt in that moment that time froze. All the words coming out of her mom's mouth didn't form, or it was the fact that Lexi was trying to process everything.

"Lex?" Sara called gently. "Lexi?"

"Humm?" Lexi shook her head, snapping herself out of her thoughts. "Y-you have cancer?" She asked, her voice cracking.

"I do." Sara nodded, sadly. "I have only been guaranteed a few months left to live." She added.

"But you're so young..." Lexi said, as she felt tears cloud her eyes. "What happens if you're not going to be here for my graduation? Or to see me have kids and get married one day?" She rambled.

"We're going to take it one day at a time, okay?" Sara asked.

"Okay..." Lexi answered shakily, as she bit her lip that was beginning to quiver. She tried to not break down in front of her mom right then and there. She wanted to remain strong. Her mom needed her at this time, and she was going to be there for her no matter what. And if worse came to worse, and she passed in the next few months, she would keep going, because that's what any strong person would do. Lexi was also well aware that, that's what her mom would want her to do.
----------
Lexi sighed as she sat up in bed. She had received the terrible news two days prior, and she was still attempting to process everything. It was already Monday, and she'd be heading to school in three hours, so she shook it off and walked over to her desk to work on some homework. She picked up her phone and called Santana - only to receive no answer. She tried Finn and Quinn, even Kurt, but they didn't pick up. She sighed, and placed her phone back on the charger.