Shooting Star

A/N: I'm emotionally drained from writing this chapter/rewatching the episode... oh god I cried...not much more needs to be said.
•••••••
4x18 ~ SHOOTING STAR ~
••••••••
Over the weekend, Lexi had received another rejection letter. This time it was from Columbia, so NYU was her final chance. She was feeling quite discouraged, and because of this, she hadn't slept all weekend, and had kept herself locked in her bedroom. Add her mom's death on top of all of this. However, she had to go to school, so she needed to get her crap together, and look a little presentable.

Walking into school, everyone stared at her as she walked in wearing sweats that she had tucked her sweater into, while her hair in it's Cheerio ponytail. To everyone, she may have looked fine, but internally, she was falling apart. On top of all that, she feigned being happy, by wearing a rather exaggerated smile, while she walked down the hallway.

Sam on the other hand, had not seen her all weekend, and was growing quite worried about her. Sure, he knew she was mostly in her bedroom. That didn't mean he wasn't not worried about her. He genuinely was, and he wanted to help her out.

"What happened to Lexi?" Blaine asked Sam.

"I'm still trying to figure that out." He admitted honestly.

"She wasn't active in the group chat at all." Marley pointed out.

"And she was in her bedroom all weekend." Sam nodded. "I haven't seen her since Friday afternoon, and it's Monday morning at seven forty five a.m."

"Speaking of Lexi, here she comes now." Artie spoke up, as the group turned to see their friend walking their way.

"Should we talk to her?" Tina asked, clearly concerned with her friend's well being, as much as the rest of the group.

"I believe it's best if Sam handles this debacle." Blaine suggested, shoving Sam forward.

As Sam walked toward his girlfriend, he could tell that she was upset about something. What? He wasn't too sure, but he saw so much more than that forced smile. He needed to talk to her.

"Hey, Lex." Sam said, finally approaching her, while she was at her locker.

"Hey." She replied, placing her textbooks in the locker, before closing it, and turning her attention back to her boyfriend.

"Are you feeling okay?" He asked, as she raised her eyebrow.

"Are you kidding? I'm just great!" She answered, her voice cracking.

"No you aren't." Sam shook her head. "What happened? I didn't see you over the weekend."

Knowing she wouldn't get away with anything, because he knew her too well. Maybe even more than she knew herself, she let out a sigh, and opened her locker again. She dug her hand around in her bag, and pulled out the rejection letter.

"This happened." She admitted, as tears clouded her eyes again. She handed Sam the rejection letter, and he began to slowly read through it.

"Baby, I'm so sorry..." He whispered. "I know how you're really wanting to attend university this coming fall semester..."

"I only have one chance left this year..." Lexi shrugged, as she looked up at the ceiling, attempting to hold her tears in. "And the NYU letters are slowly coming out...I need to get in. I wanted to make my mom proud, even though she's no longer here." She confessed in an honest rant, as he listened to her.

"You still might get in. They'd be stupid not to accept you." Sam assured her.

"Yeah, well, we can't predict the answer." Lexi muttered.