Guilty Pleasures

4x17 ~ GUILTY PLEASURES ~
••••••
The past two weeks had been quite difficult on Lexi since Sara had passed away. Sam had been there whenever she needed, in fact, he lived with her now. She still lived in her house, and planned to until graduation. The New Directions had tried their best to support her while she grieved. And all of them could confirm that her grief was quite tangible. Although, no one grieves in two weeks. It was going to be a heavy healing process.

Lexi sighed, as she sat herself down at the piano, and opened the lid. Brushing off some of the dust that had collected, she prepared to play. However, when she went to play, she couldn't. Maybe it was because she used to play for her mom all the time.

"You okay, Lex?" She heard someone ask, they entered the room.

"Not great." She answered, turning to see who it was. It was Sara. She seemed so real, even though she wasn't there.

"I miss hearing you sing." Sara smiled, sitting down beside her.

"I haven't been able to sing, or play any music since you passed away two weeks ago." Lexi admitted, as she looked down at the keys.

"I know that I may be gone, but like I've said before, you have to face your fears." Sara replied, as she ran her hands along the keys. "Returning to your hobbies after I've passed may seem foolish, but it isn't. It's a fear. A fear which you have to face. You won't get anywhere in your comfort zone."

"So you're saying that I shouldn't continue to take it slow or grieve your death?" Lexi frowned.

"No." Sara chuckled. "Grieving is a valid emotion after a passing of a loved one. But what I'm trying to converse is that you have a fear of playing music, and singing again, because you're afraid."

"I'm afraid it won't be any good anymore." Lexi confessed, as she rested her hands on the keys again.

"You were always talented at everything you did, even if it took you months. You've faced adversities before, and you've tackled your fears. You can play music again."

"It'll take me some time, but I'm going to do it for you." Lexi smiled sadly.

"You know, I remember teaching the piano when you were four. You were so eager to learn. You placed your little fingers on the keys, determined to get a song down by the end of the day." Sara laughed softly, as Lexi watched her reminisce the memory. "And low and behold, by the end of the day, you'd accomplished some scales, and a simple song."

"I remember, it was Twinkle Twinkle Little Star." Lexi laughed, as she swore she could picture her four year old hard at work on the piano.

"Yes, and by the age of five, you were already playing showtunes...do you remember which show tune you mastered first?"

Lexi raised her eyebrow, as she racked her brain for the song. Suddenly, it came to her, causing her to smile.

"I do. I played Thank You for the Music from Mamma Mia!"

"That's right, and you would sing it to me every night, until you reached the age of seven, when you also took on guitar, and ukulele. You became quite the talented musician and singer. You were even writing original songs by the age of ten. I was so overly proud of you, and I still am." Sara smiled.

"Thank you." Lexi nodded gratefully, moving to hug her mom, and stopping when she realized Sara wasn't really there.

"You need music, and it needs you. Think about it." Sara winked.

"Lexi! Earth to Lexi!"

"Huh?" Lexi snapped out of her trance to see Kurt sitting by the table. "Hey, what are you doing here?" She asked, getting up to pull him into a hug.