Transitioning

6x07 ~ TRANSITIONING ~
•••••
Lexi had reached her five month mark in her pregnancy. She was twenty-seventh weeks pregnant. The fact that in four months, a human would be coming into the world was a little nerve wracking. She also knew it was beautiful, but in the situation she was in right now, it was hard to see the positive side.

Lexi sighed, as she sat in the park. She had contacted her grandma, which was Sara's mom to come and meet her. She needed someone else besides her friends for consolation in this busy time. And although her and Sara's mom weren't strongly bonded, it was worth a shot.

"Hey, kiddo." Sara's mom, Andrea greeted, as Lexi turned to smile at her.

"Hi." Lexi greeted in return, as she watched Andrea sit down beside her. God, she looked like Sara, just an older version.

"It's been awhile." Andrea smiled, looking Lexi up and down. "You look so much like Sara, more and more everyday." She admired the younger woman.

"Wow, I'll take that as a compliment." Lexi smiled. "How have you been? I haven't seen you for over a year..."

"I've been getting by. It's been difficult, you know? Grieving isn't an easy emotion or process. There's no guidebook on how to grieve, so you grieve in a way you seem fit. Truth is, it's been almost two years, and I still miss her. I'll always miss her. Missing someone is inevitable." Andrea said, as Lexi nodded. "How about you? How have you been doing with the pregnancy and your mom's death?"

"Same as you, if we're talking about the grieving process." Lexi sighed. "It took me a few weeks to play music again, but I do it to honor my mom. She was so strong, and inspirational. I really miss her, and I wish she was here to help me through my pregnancy, because I am in a complicated place right now." She admitted.

"You're like your mom. She was as lost as you were while she was pregnant with you. I deeply regret not showing up for her as much as I should've." Andrea admitted. "What happened between you and Sam? Are you together?"

"Our relationship is kind of on the rocks." Lexi confessed. "It's on hold for now, because, he can't decide if he wants to be with me or not. He's not sure if he'll be able to love me and the baby, no matter the test results..." She paused, arguing whether she should ask the next question. "Do you think I am sabotaging this relationship? That I don't know how to love?" She asked, on the verge of tears.

When Andrea didn't answer, Lexi chuckled painfully. "Well, I guess that answers that."

"I remember a time when your mom brought you over to my house. You were about seven, and your cousins were also there. All of you, except your cousin Lucy, could ride a bike without training wheels. You learned to ride a bike without training wheels at the age of five."

"I remember how determined I was about riding my bike without training wheels." Lexi nodded, with a chuckle at the memory.

"You were fixated, and you worked at it, surprising the family that night with your accomplishment. Meanwhile, back to our current story...so your cousins all rode off, and left Lucy out of the bike ride, but you decided to stay behind and help her. You didn't want her to feel like she wasn't capable. You pushed her to work her hardest, to give it her all. In fact you spent two hours teaching her how to ride a bike without training wheels so you could both ride together." Andrea smiled at the memory. "I was so proud of you, and so was your mom. You dedicated your time, hard work, patience, love, and selflessness to helping Lucy out. And I know that she's also grateful." She added, before pausing to look at Lexi."If you don't believe in yourself. If you don't believe you're worthy of love, you're wrong." Andrea said softly, grabbing Lexi's hand in hers. "Your love is valuable, and if you don't think it is, you're also wrong in that belief as well.  Lexi, you are a valuable person. You love and give without expecting anything in return. You're going to love this baby, no matter what happens. And if Sam isn't up for the job, then I'll offer all my care and support."