"Ours"

Song: 'Ours' By: Taylor Swift

......

"Seems like there's always someone who disapproves
They'll judge it like they know about me and you
And the verdict comes from those with nothing else to do
The jury's out, but my choice is you"

As you make your way into the living room, your on the phone with your mother in a heated argument pacing back and forth. "Mother I am so sick of having the conversation with you. I understand that your upset that he can never come with me to any of your family events but his job is important. When he gets called to work he has to leave." You wished you could tell your mom the real job Mac has and that it isn't just a think tank but you couldn't. Even if it meant that maybe she'd be a little less judgemental about your boyfriend. You were arguing with her about him missing Thanksgiving dinner with you and your parents. There was a emergency in Russia that needed to be taking care of, another almost nuclear attack prevented by Mac and the team. Just your usual everyday Thanksgiving right? Normal yeah? As proud of him as you were and no matter how much you understood your mother did not.

Here it is two days later and your still dealing with the repercussions of his job getting in the way of eating some damn turkey. "He works at a think tank, what's so important he can't spend a holiday with his girlfriends parents? Should I even bother inviting him to Christmas? What happens if you guys get married?! I mean it has been two years after all. I know you've thought about it, at least I hope you have." She continued to say more but you pulled the phone away from your ear, letting out a huge sigh. The phone wasn't far enough away though for your mom not to hear that, so then she started going on about that too.

As you stood there, only bringing the phone to your ear for a few seconds, to see if she had stopped and then pulling it away again when you realized she hadn't you saw Mac enter the room. "OH MY GOD!" You mouthed at him, causing him to smile playfully at you. You plopped down next to him on the couch, and put your phone on speaker so he could hear how ridiculous your mom was being. "I mean I was going to invite you two over next week but maybe I should just stick with you, better to spare the disappointment." You rolled your eyes, and tossed your head back against the couch. Mac frowned, noticing your frustration and began to rub your thigh gently.

Once you finally got your mom to hang up you took your phone and threw it across the room in irritation. Mac wrapped his arm around your shoulders to bring you closer "I'm sorry you have to lie to your mom babe, I know it would be easier if you could tell her the truth." Just letting out a small sigh "It's not your fault. I knew what I was signing up for. Honestly I would lie to her a million times over if it meant I got to be with you." Looking over at him you smiled, before softly kissing his lips. Mac knew he was so lucky to have a woman like you by his side, and he never took that for granted. "I love you." He said to you, everytime you heard him say that your stomach get butterflies all over again. "I love you too."

"So don't you worry your pretty, little mind
People throw rocks at things that shine
And life makes love look hard
The stakes are high, the water's rough
But this love is ours."

A week went by and you reluctantly accepted your mothers dinner invitation, just to shut her up. You planned on it being just you but Mac had landed home from a mission and insisted on going. "Mac no, please, I'd be feeding you to the lions." However, Mac just shook his head and took your hands in his "I don't care, I need to get to know your parents more and they need to be able to do the same with me. Your it for me y/n, I know you are, I can feel it. Your my future, your the one I want to be with until the day I die. I'm done, I've found the one woman I want to be with for the long haul. So I'm determined to win over your parents, even if now they don't think much of me." You felt your eyes swell with tears "I'm it for you huh?" Mac grinned, as he brushed a thumb along your cheek to catch a tear that had escaped your eye. "Yep, whether you like it or not your stuck with me." You just smiled before tilting your head up, catching his lips with yours. "I wouldn't want it any other way." You replied softly against his lips.

As the two you approached the oak colored front door, you stood there frozen. You were too scared to turn that doorknob and just walked in. So instead you stood still and stared at the white wooden lettered sign that hung on your parents front door, reading 'Welcome'. Mac saw your body tense up and he just went to stand behind you, and began to rub your shoulders gently, trying to ease your body. Your grip tightened on the tubberware handles of the lid that covered the strawberry bundt cake you had made. "You got this." You heard the soothing voice of your boyfriend in your ear. Then just like that you guys were inside, and you were calling out for your mom.

To say the rest of the evening was awkward would be a understatement, you were all sitting around the kitchen table, eating your mom's Chicken Parm in silence. Your whole body was still tensed up, knowing your parents didn't like Mac, nor would they give him a chance. "So Mac, I'm so glad you were able to make it tonight, lord knows we were starting to wonder if you were even in y/n's life anymore. Since your never around." Your eyes shot death glares at your mother for that unnecessary comment. "Mom." You said in a stern warning voice. Mac put his hand on your thigh to try and calm you down, rubbing smooth circles through the fabric of you dress, in a way to tell you it's okay.

Mac cleared his throat before starting to speak "I am very much in your daughter's life, my job just keeps me busy is all. I want you to know though that I plan on marrying your daughter someday, I want her to be my future and I want to be hers as well." You immediately started to sweat, why would he say this now? What happened to winning over your parents first. You looked back and forth at your parents, each had a unreadable look on their face. Just then, you were startled by your farther slamming down his fork "Absolutely not! Look I'm not gonna sugar coat this like your mother, we invited you two to dinner to try and convince you that this relationship isn't right. Y/n, you are a beautiful, special woman. You deserve someone who can be there for you, not someone who just up and leaves for days. Son, I will not have you ruining my daughters life, you do not have our blessing."

You were taken back by your dad's words and just stood up from the table, you couldn't even register what happened next you were so angry. "How dare you?! You have no right to tell me who I can and cannot be with or who I shouldn't marry. I want to marry him too, and someday we will. Honestly if this is the way you'll act you shouldn't bother even coming."

Mac spoke next, still seated and trying to use a calming quiet voice unlike the loud yelling voice you had just used. "Please understand, yes my job takes me away alot but I assure you it's very important work." Your mother waved his words off, ignoring him "What about when you have kids? What if your away when she gives birth? What if you miss their first steps or first words? I mean, you seem like a nice boy but I will not have you talking about marrying her. It's not right, I don't even approve of the two of you dating let alone marriage."

You were tired of hearing all of these negative words, so all you could do was yell some more. "Screw this! The hell with the both of you, come on Mac." You don't even remember walking out of the room let alone the house, but you were leaned against the driver side of Macs truck. Your eyes burning as the crisp autumn breeze hit the tears that were escaping your eyes. Soon Mac was there, standing in front of you then soon taking you in his arms. Feeling him hug you tight, the soft tears soon turned into full sobs. "Why are they like this? Why can't they see how happy you make me, how badly I want to be with you?" Mac sighed as he rubbed your back "I don't know baby, but they are not going to convince me to leave, I promise you. I want to be with you, and I will. Hopefully your parents come around, the thought of them not being at our future wedding breaks my heart for you."

You lifted your face up to meet Macs eyes with yours "All I need at our wedding is you. I love you and I'm going to marry you, I don't care who's there or not there." Mac smiled down at you, trying to hold back his own emotion "I love you too. I guess your right, it doesn't matter who doesn't agree with us. Or who judges this love or accepts it. The only thing that matters is that this love is ours."

You smiled up at him and gave him a loving kiss on the mouth before letting him walk you around the truck to the passenger side. He helped you in and as he walked around to his side you sat there, in awe of the love you guys shared and knowing that no matter what, he was your future and you were his.

"And it's not theirs to speculate
If it's wrong, and your hands are tough
But they are where mine belong, and
I'll fight their doubt and give you faith
With this song for you."