"When Your Gone"

Song: "When your Gone" by: Avril Lavigne

Another request by ElizabethDodson0 and I hope she and all of you enjoy this one, another sad one so brace yourselves haha. So the last request from her was in the readers pov so I thought this time I'd do Macs pov!

***

"When you walk away
I count the steps that you take
Do you see how much I need you right now?"

*Macs pov*

My hand was intertwined with y/n's as we stepped through the foyer of my house. I was waiting for her to say something, I knew her better than she knew herself sometimes and knew it was just a matter of time before she asked-

"How are you doing babe?" She whispered in a cautious tone. There it was, the question I was waiting for her ask. Giving her a weak smile, I brought the hand I was holding up to my lips and gently gave it a kiss. I didn't answer her question though, I couldn't bring myself to "I think I'm going to go lie down, I just need to rest for a bit."

"Mac, are you sure you don't want to just talk about this. Honey, we just got back from one of your best friends funeral. I don't think you should be alone right now. Isn't there anything I could do for you?"

I knew she was just trying to be there for me, like any good girlfriend would be but I couldn't talk about him, not now at least. So I just shook my head no and kissed her cheek "I love you, I just need some time okay?"

Before she could say anything I walked off to my bedroom and started to loosen the black silk tie that hung around my neck. I closed my eyes tightly as I tried to keep the tears from escaping my eyes.

Once I changed I plopped down on the bed and tried to close my eyes, trying to escape the thoughts that filled my head.

***

"When you're gone
The pieces of my heart are missin' you
When you're gone
The face I came to know is missin', too
When you're gone
The words I need to hear
To always get me through the day
And make it okay
I miss you"

*Flashback*

"Charlie?! I'm not going to let you die! I won't, there has to be another way?!" I screamed through the unbreakable glass of the elevator he was trapped in.

"Mac, you've tried everything. You and I both know your out of ideas. This Mason guy, he was smart about this. So, I'm going to help you, the only way I know how." I watched as Charlie began to start punching the glass and I yelled in horror for him to stop.

"Charlie you'll drop to your death, stop! Please I'll figure something out please stop!"

"Goodbye Mac. You've been a great friend to me I just want you to-" Then the elevator suddenly dropped and I watched as him and the elevator exploded at the ground. I just watched my best friend die and there was nothing I could do to save him.

*End of Flashback*

I suddenly woke up and my whole body jolted up as I felt my heart pounding in my chest. Little did I know y/n was in the room as well, which caused me to startle her by my sudden awakening.

"Baby?! Are you okay?" She sat by my side and took me into her arms, it was that one action that caused me to finally break down into tears. As I sobbed into her shoulder she tried to rub my back to calm me down "Mac, baby, I know your hurting. Charlie would not want you beating yourself up like this and you know that. You were left with an impossible choice and Charlie sacrificed himself to save those people. You say it yourself that we can't save everyone on these missions. I was there that day too remember? You did everything you could to try and get him out of there. You can't keep punishing yourself Mac. You just can't."

I lifted my head up to look her into her eyes, and she started to wipe the tears off of my face "I know your right I just, I just need time to grieve babe."

"I know honey, but maybe try to grieve with a clear conscience, it's what he would've wanted right?"

I knew she was right, I just nodded in agreement as I went to give her a soft kiss on the lips "Thank you, for being there for me I wouldn't be able to get through this without you."

"I'm always here for you, you know that. I'm not going anywhere." She held both my hands in hers "I'm gonna go make you some lunch, you need to eat."

I tried to protest but she cut me off "Sorry, it's not an option." Then she left the room and I sat there thinking of how lucky I was to have such a loving woman in my life. Still remembering when I first introduced her to Charlie, he told me how much he liked her and to never let her go.

I had planned on ways to honor Charlie's memory, and I couldn't think of anything better than to make that woman my wife someday. He had been teasing me for months before his death to put a ring on her finger and I think that it was about time I did.