Brothers and Sisters in Arms

*2 years earlier*

The dry heat, along with the beaming sun made this one of the worst days yet. You were returning with your unti from patrol in the middle of the desert in Afghanistan. You made your way out of the humvee and started to walk over to one of the shaded tents, just to get away from the sun. Taking off your helmet, you grabbed a bottled water and began to chug that down as fast as you could.

You turned around to see another humvee returning, as two fellow soilders you knew very well made their way over to the same tent.

"Hey guys, so Mac, how many bombs did you manage to disarm today?" You asked, tossing each of them a water.

Before Mac could answer, Jack patted Mac on the back and answered for him "My boy took down a total of ten of those IEDS! While I assisted of course!"

"If by assisted you mean kept saying "dear God please don't let today be the day" then sure." Mac said while giving you a look of annoyance.

"Wow Jack, not cool doubting your boy like that? Since when do you lose faith in trusty Macgyver." You teased, taking a seat on the wooden bench that connected to a table.

"Alright now, I didn't lose faith, I just- well you see I- actually- oh hell screw you both!" He pouted before storming out of the tent leaving the two of you alone, laughing at Jack together.

"So now that you know how our patrol went, how was yours?" Mac smiled as he took a seat next to you.

You shrugged as you leaned back on your elbows against the table "Pretty quiet, thank God. Just two more weeks Angus and we are going home."

Mac rolled his eyes and groaned when you called him Angus "Alright. Anyways are we still on for tonight?" He asked with a devilish smile.

The two of you had been sneaking off to eachothers tents to hook up, you didn't say you were dating since you in the middle of a war in a desert. You two hadn't told anyone either, well expect Jack. With the stress of the job, it was nice to have a way to blow off some steam.

"Well of course." You smirked at him, giving him a playful wink before you walked to your tent.

***

Later that evening, the two of you were in your tent, things had escalated quickly since he came into your tent five minutes ago. Mac hovered over top of you, as you laid back against your cot, each of you aggressively kissing the other.

Just as you were about to take off his shirt you both heard loud commotions going on outside. You both got up, and pulled yourselves together before heading outside to see what was going on.

You both stood there as you watched a unit scramble and hurry a fellow soilder to the medic tent.

"What happened?!" You asked one of them, in a concerned tone.

"We were on patrol, when Jones stepped on a mine. It's pretty bad /y/l/n, I don't think...." the soilders couldn't finish the sentence before breaking down in tears. You didn't hesitate to take him into your arms as you tried to console him.

Not even mintues passed, before they announced the death of Sargeant Jones. You and Mac sat side by side on your cot, just letting the silence take over the room. Clearly you two were no longer going to do what you had planned, Jones was the first and hopefully the last, soilder in the whole unit to die. Mac had unfortunately already experienced it before when his instructor died but this was the first you had experienced this kind of loss.