Chapter 35

DISCLAIMER: Harry Potter belongs to J.K. ROWLING.

.

Chapter 35:

March 17, 1978

(seventeen years ago)

Hermione quickly dialled her parents' home phone number while Sirius and Remus were waiting outside the red telephone box just outside the King's Cross Station.

"Puckle residence," came her sister's voice.

"Hey, Mona," she greeted, but she was cut-off.

"HERMIONE! WHERE THE HELL ARE YOU?"

Hermione cringed at the sound of her sister's yell that she had to move the phone away from her ear.

"Calm down, Mona!" she said rather loudly.

"Sev said you ran off with two 'Gryffindorks'. What the hell does that mean?"

"That's why I'm calling! I'm calling to explain," she replied patiently. "Can I please speak with Mum or Dad?"

She heard Mona murmur something and called their mum. In her mind, Hermione could see her mum coming from the kitchen to the parlour, picking up the phone.

"Hermione, darling, where are you?"

"Oh, don't be so soft to her, Mum," she heard Mona's voice.

"Hi, Mum. You know that I can't write to you, that's why I'm calling," she began.

"All right, sweetie. Tell me what happened."

"My friend James's father passed away last night because of illness... He just lost his mum a week ago because of Dragon Pox and he doesn't have any siblings or other living relatives. So, I decided to go with Remus and the others to... you know, be there for him."

"Oh, sweetie, that's terrible! How long do you plan to stay?"

"You're agreeing?" she heard Mona.

"What's the matter?" came her dad's voice.

"Where is she?" came his voice.

Her mum excused herself for a moment and explained the situation to the three other people in the house.

So he is there, she thought. After months and months of avoiding each other at school and Hogsmeade village and not showing up the entire Christmas break, Severus Snape finally 'returned' to her parents' house.

"Hermione, sweetie, how long do you plan to stay?" her mum asked.

"Until the day of the funeral. Monday, I think, mum," she replied carefully.

"All right, sweetie," her mum replied calmly. "Well, Sev wants to speak with you..."

Hermione sighed heavily and glanced at Remus and Sirius who were busy talking while their eyes were on the road.

"All right, Mum." She waited for only a few seconds, and then his voice came.

"Hey."

Hermione closed her eyes at the sound of his gentle voice. She felt like crying because she had not heard that tone since September. For almost six months, all she heard was the coldness in his voice; the absence of his affection.

"Hi," she replied gently.

"Listen, I'm so, so sorry for what happened the past months..." Her eyes were still closed and she was imagining his gentle face, his sincere look. "I came to explain and talk to you but..."