Chapter 54

DISCLAIMER: I do not own Harry Potter.

.

December 30, 1995

(the present)

Hermione watched Sirius at the dining table as he read a Daily Prophet clipping from Leo's time about the 1996 Azkaban breakout where ten Death Eaters escaped, including Bellatrix Lestrange.

They were having another meeting, but this time, at Grimmauld Place. Harry and the Weasley children were at the Burrow with some Order members like Emmeline Vance, Hestia Jones, and Sturgis Podmore. Arthur, Molly, and Bill Weasley were in the meeting, of course. The same people were there: Hermione, Severus, Remus, Sirius, Albus, Moody, Tonks, and Minerva. This time, they were joined by Amelia and Alona. Leo was at their Blackpool home with Eileen and Hermione's parents.

"What the fuck? I led the breakout? This is the most insane thing the Ministry has ever said," Sirius blurted, looking stressed as he tossed the clipping on the table. Remus snatched it and read it again with furrowed brows.

"Siri, that's from another time," she said, trying to comfort the friend sitting across from her. "And that's not the most insane thing they did. You went to Azkaban without a trial. I'm sure when Amy becomes Minister for Magic, things will be fairer and better."

Amelia raised an eyebrow. "And how do I become the Minister for Magic?"

"Fudge will resign once it's proven that the Dark Lord is back," replied Severus. "Who else will be the next Minister? The head of the Department of Mysteries?"

Alona snorted. "They don't answer to the Minister for Magic."

Hermione saw Amelia give their friend a warning look and Alona's cheeks blushed. Hermione gave her Ravenclaw friends a questioning look.

"What do you mean 'they don't answer' to the minister?" asked Remus.

"It means, the Department of Mysteries is independent. They can refuse to obey the Minister for Magic. How do you think we're protecting the Hall of Prophecies without Fudge knowing?" answered Amelia.

Hermione and Severus, who were sitting beside each other, exchanged looks. Her fiancé nodded and Hermione turned to Amelia. "Perhaps, that can help us explain about Leo once we register him as our biological son, after the Dark Lord's defeat."

"Who's the head of the department, anyway?" asked Bill.

Amelia shook her head. "Don't bother asking, Mr Weasley."

"Oh, but the department head's very close to Amelia," Alona hinted and winked in Sirius's direction."

"Enough," Amelia said sternly. Hermione reminded her of Professor McGonagall.

"So, Azkaban breakout?" Tonks quipped.

"If we let Lord Voldemort do as he pleases, it would mean Bellatrix Lestrange's release. She will be back at his side. We cannot allow that to happen," said Albus.

"Damn right, Headmaster. We cannot let that evil woman carry the devil's child," Molly snarled; her eyes on the Daily Prophet clippings on the table. Hermione saw Arthur place an arm around his wife's shoulders.

"Lucius can still do the mission at the Department of Mysteries even without the other Death Eaters, can't he?" asked Minerva.

"He can," replied Albus. "He will be with the other Death Eaters: Crabbe, Goyle, McNair, Nott."

"But do you think You-Know-Who will still send them to the Ministry for a mission even without his most loyal Death Eaters?" asked Bill. "From what I gathered, Bellatrix Lestrange was one of his lieutenants."