Chapter 21

Disclaimer: I do not own Harry Potter.

.

Chapter 21:

September 19, 1974

(twenty-one years ago)

"Hermione? What are you still doing here?" asked Amelia when her friend emerged from the bathroom and saw her sitting on her own bed, already dressed for the day.

Hermione was tapping her fingers on the bed in a non-musical way and biting her lower lip.

"You know that Severus waits for you every day. He must be downstairs already," Amelia approached her.

"I'm nervous," she admitted.

Amelia smiled and cast a quick-drying spell on herself using her wand before touching her hair. "Let's braid your hair. Turn around."

She obliged and let Amelia fuss with her hair. "You know," her friend said, "it's normal to be anxious, but don't overthink. He's been your friend for five years now. You're lucky that your best friend is in love with you. Unlike most of us. Either we'll have to face the person betrothed for us since we were in nappies, or get to know some guy and if it doesn't work, we'll have to try again."

Hermione smiled and relaxed her shoulders. "Did someone ask you out already?" she inquired.

She snorted. "Someone asked me but I found out that I was a second option."

"What? Who?" she shrieked and turned around but Amelia held her head firmly.

"Relax, Mione. Honestly, it's not a big deal, that's why I haven't mentioned to you and Alona."

"But who was the boy?" she asked curiously.

"A Slytherin. Don't ask more questions. I don't want to talk about it not because I am hurt, or was hurt - but because he doesn't matter, anyway."

"How did you know that you were a second option?"

"Thanks to Sirius Black's annoying little brother, Regulus. He was eavesdropping in the library when the wizard reminded me of our supposed date and Regulus blurted out something like he was too slow to ask the first girl that's why he needed a second option. Merlin, you should've seen my reaction. I could kiss Regulus at that time."

Hermione chuckled at an image of first-year Regulus Black blurting out. Little Regulus was adorable. He would ask Severus to tutor him in Potions because he was afraid his mother might send him a howler if he got low marks. Just like Sirius Black, his older brother, Regulus was handsome, had long curly black hair, and grey eyes. But he was adorable and had a pleasing personality, that was why Hermione liked him.

"There. French braid," Amelia declared and released her hair. "Who knows later you might get a French kiss," she teased and giggled.

"Amelia!" she exclaimed.

.

Hermione finally made it downstairs. Severus was already waiting outside, leaning on the opposite wall, one hand in his robe pocket and the other hand was holding a bouquet of pink roses. He smiled the moment their eyes met.