Chapter 13

DISCLAIMER: I do not own Harry Potter.

.

Chapter 13:

September 1, 1971

(twenty-four years ago)

"I'm going to miss you, sweetheart," her mother said rather emotionally, hugging her tightly.

"I'm going to miss you too, Mum," she said against her chest.

"Write to me as often as you can, will you?" she sniffed.

Hermione nodded. "I will, Mum. I promise."

"Let her go, love," came her father's affectionate voice.

Her mother let her go. Mona pulled her to a hug and kissed her forehead. "Take care, Mione."

"Take care of Mum and Dad, okay?" she asked.

Mona released her and nodded. "I will. Have a good term."

"Severus, can I ask you to take care of Hermione? Make sure she eats on time and spends time outdoor?" her father asked.

Severus nodded politely, like a man. "I will, sir."

Dr. Puckle shook the boy's hand. "Thank you. We are fortunate that Hermione has you by her side."

"No, sir. I am fortunate because you accepted me in your family," he said with a small, yet grateful smile.

Mrs. Puckle couldn't stop herself from being emotional, so she pulled Severus to a motherly hug. "You'll always be a part of our family, Sev. Thank you for being Hermione's best friend."

Hermione saw Severus stiffly returned her mother's embrace. She knew that he wasn't used to being shown affections by his parents. But he seemed to soften around Hermione and her family.

"Off you go, children," her mother said. "Bob, can you help the children with their trunks?"

Hermione's father obliged with a smile. He carried the two trunks. Severus helped Hermione to hop on the train and took the lead to find an empty compartment. Once they settled, Dr. Puckle left them and the two children leaned on the window to wave at Hermione's family.

"Write to me, Hermione!" called Mona whose eyes were glassy.

"I will!" Hermione's voice croaked. Mona was her first best friend and they have been inseparable since childhood. It would be the first time Hermione would be apart from her family.

The train started running. Hermione waved to her parents and sister until she couldn't see them anymore. She felt Severus's comforting hand on the small of her back. He led her to sit and placed an arm around her. In return, she rested her head on his shoulder.

"I will miss them, Sev," she said emotionally.

"I know. I will miss them, too," he admitted.

She turned to meet his eyes. "Really?"

Severus nodded. "Of course. They are good people; your family."