Chapter 8

DISCLAIMER: I do not own Harry Potter.

AUTHOR'S NOTE: All is well on my end. I hope you are all safe and healthy.

.

Chapter 8:

July 26, 1969

(twenty-six years ago)

"You're a wizard!" exclaimed Hermione who was still reading his book.

He sipped his lemonade bashfully and nodded. The Puckles were very kind and accomodating. Severus wasn't uncomfortable when Hermione's mother, Mrs. Puckle, suddenly felt she had to feed him instantly. Hermione's father, Dr. Puckle, a pediatrician, shook his hand kindly.

"Why didn't you tell me that I'm a witch?" Hermione asked curiously.

"I thought you'd be offended. I made a mistake by telling Lily Evans that she's a witch when I saw her doing magic and she got angry," he explained. He didn't want Hermione to get angry. He wanted them to be friends.

"Perhaps I would be offended," Hermione admitted. "But not angry. So, is your mum a witch?"

He nodded. "Yes is, but she can't do magic in front of my father."

"Your father's a Muggle, then?" she asked kindly.

He nodded once more. "He doesn't like magic... and me."

Hermione gave him a sad smile. "Oh, I'm sorry to hear that, Severus."

He shrugged. "I'm used to it. As long as he doesn't hurt me physically, I'm fine with that... You're lucky that your parents accepted your magic so easily."

Hermione looked down on her plate. She was avoiding his gaze, probably afraid that her words might hurt him. "Mummy said, that's what parents are supposed to do - accept and love their children unconditionally."

He swallowed. "I guess not all parents are like yours."

And I wish I have someone like them, he thought.

.

July 26, 1995

(present time)

Hermione felt it when Severus sat beside her on the settee. She bravely turned to face him. "Was her name 'Hermione' as well? Your former fiancee?"

Severus raked his fingers in his hair and stood up. He walked to a chest behind his desk. He returned beside her with an album. "She was called 'Hermione Puckle' and she was born on September 19th, 1959."

Hermione's heart skipped. 'Puckle' was her mother's maiden name. And the other Hermione's birthday was the same as hers.

Severus looked like he didn't know what to say, so he handed her the album. Hermione nervously accepted it and with her trembling hands, she opened it. The first picture she saw wasn't moving. A Muggle picture, then.

She saw a young Severus Snape. His black hair reached his nape, just above his shoulders. He was wearing a crisp coat and was sitting on a rug by the fireplace. His arms were resting on his knees and hands were clasped together. Severus was not looking at the camera. He was looking sideways, to a girl with shockingly familiar wild brown hair and a button nose. The girl was looking down at a present in her lap.